Search teams found the bodies of four men missing almost a week since an explosion rocked a West Virginia coal mine, bringing the death toll to 29 in the worst US mining disaster in a generation.
Crews who held out hope that survivors might have made it to an airtight chamber awaiting rescue instead discovered their bodies on Friday in the Upper Big Branch Mine, officials said.
“We did not receive the miracle that we prayed for,” Governor Joe Manchin said early yesterday. “So this journey has ended and now the healing will start.”
Since the Sago mine disaster that killed 12 miners in 2006, refuge chambers had been installed in the mine and held enough oxygen and water to survive for four days. None of the chambers were deployed, Manchin said. He also said the miners did not suffer.
The death toll makes it the worst US coal mining disaster since a 1970 explosion killed 38 in Hyden, Kentucky.
Earlier, federal mine safety administrator Kevin Stricklin had said there was no way anyone in the mine could have survived after the blast unless they were in a refuge shelter.
“There’s no way that life could be sustained in that type of atmosphere, even for a short period of time,” Stricklin said.
Officials say the mission now is to recover all 22 bodies still inside the mine about 48km south of Charleston.
Seven other bodies were recovered after the blast on Monday and two other miners were injured.
“It’s hard to turn a rescue into a recovery with the same group of people,” Stricklin said.
During previous rescue attempts, searchers had to withdraw because of dangerous gases and the risk of fire or explosion.
The first time rescuers went in after the explosion they walked past the four missing miners without seeing them, because of the smoke and dust in the area.
The last miner was found around late Friday, Stricklin said.
The federal mine agency has appointed a team of investigators to look into the blast, which officials said may have been caused by a buildup of methane. US President Barack Obama said he wants a report by next week.
In Whitesville, a community about 10 minutes from the mine, four people playing video poker early yesterday retreated from the noisy machines to listen to the governor break the news.
Patty Ann Manios, a city councilwoman, took off her glasses and started to weep. “Oh God. Oh God,” she said.
“It’s heart wrenching,” Manios said. “They didn’t know what hit them. They just didn’t.”
Donna Ward, whose husband works at a different mine, was still crying minutes after the press conference was over.
“I was hoping for four miracles,” she said.
The mine’s owner, Massey Energy Co, has been repeatedly cited for problems with the system that vents methane and for allowing combustible dust to build up. On the day of the blast, Mining Safety and Health Administration cited the mine with two safety violations — one involving inadequate maps of escape routes, the other concerning an improper splice of electrical cable. However, Stricklin said the violations had nothing to do with the blast.
Massey CEO Don Blankenship has strongly defended the company’s record and disputed accusations from miners that he puts coal profits ahead of safety.
OFF BORDER ISLAND: The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel wearing a life jacket and leaving behind his shoes, indicating an intentional move, Seoul said North Korean soldiers shot dead a suspected South Korean defector at sea and burned his body as a COVID-19 precaution after he was interrogated in the water over several hours, Seoul military officials said yesterday. It is the first killing of a South Korean citizen by North Korean forces for a decade, and comes with Pyongyang at high alert over the COVID-19 pandemic and inter-Korean relations at a standstill. The fisheries official disappeared from a patrol vessel near the western border island of Yeonpyeong on Monday, the official said. More than 24 hours later, North Korean forces located him in their waters and
ACADEMIC FREEDOM: One professor told her students to submit anonymized papers and not to record any online classes. Some US schools have announced similar steps Students at Oxford University specializing in the study of China are being asked to submit some papers anonymously to protect them from the possibility of retribution under the sweeping new security law introduced three months ago in Hong Kong. The anonymity ruling is to be applied in classes, and group tutorials are to be replaced by one-to-ones. Students are also to be warned that it will be viewed as a disciplinary offence if they tape classes or share them with outside groups. The Hong Kong National Security Law was imposed on June 30 by Beijing after more than a year of pro-democracy
Japan’s government yesterday urged people to seek help if they were struggling to cope, following Sunday’s death of the popular actress and Miss Sherlock star Yuko Takeuchi, 40. News of her death shocked the nation and follows other recent cases of Japanese celebrities taking their lives, with figures showing a recent rise in suicides. Takeuchi was a household name in Japan and had given birth to her second child in January. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato did not mention a particular case, but said that some people were struggling to cope during the COVID-19 pandemic. “There has been an uptick in the number
China on Thursday lashed out at the US at a high-level UN meeting over its criticism on the COVID-19 pandemic, with its envoy declaring, “Enough is enough.” Two days after US President Donald Trump used his annual address to the General Assembly to attack China’s record, US Ambassador to the UN Kelly Craft, also took an outraged tone — after which her Chinese counterpart showed palpable anger. “I must say, enough is enough. You have created enough troubles for the world already,” Chinese Ambassador to the UN Zhang Jun (張軍) told a Security Council meeting on global governance attended through videoconference