The US can begin trying Osama bin Laden’s former driver next week at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, a federal judge ruled on Thursday, rejecting the defendant’s plea to halt the historic first trial in the military system set up following the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.
In a victory for the administration of US President George W. Bush, US District Judge James Robertson ruled that civilian courts should let the military process play out as Congress intended — a decision that could clear the way for military commissions to begin prosecuting other terrorism suspects, including those charged directly in the 2001 attacks.
Had the trial been delayed, as requested by former bin Laden chauffeur Salim Hamdan, it would have been a sign that the entire terror-trial process might crumble under the weight of judicial scrutiny.
Hamdan argued that he should be given a chance to challenge the legality of the military trials, based on last month’s Supreme Court ruling that said Guantanamo Bay prisoners can oppose their detentions in federal civilian courts. If judges hold that to be the case, every detainee at the US naval base in Cuba could use court challenges to delay his trial for months or years.
But Robertson refused to step in to stop the Hamdan trial, which is scheduled for Monday.
“Courts should respect the balance that Congress has struck,” he said. “Hamdan is to face a military commission designed by Congress acting on guidelines handed down by the Supreme Court.”
At Guantanamo Bay, military prosecutors said the ruling gave them more confidence that the trials would go forward against 80 detainees, including alleged Sept. 11, 2001, mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and others charged in the attacks.
Army Colonel Lawrence Morris, the chief prosecutor, predicted the trials would soon become routine.
“It will start looking like the space shuttle,” Morris said. “At some point you look and somebody asks, ‘Is there a space shuttle orbiting or not,’ and you don’t know anymore because it’s no longer an extraordinary event.”
Hamdan’s Pentagon-appointed attorney, Navy Lieutenant Commander. Brian Mizer, said he intends to prove the Yemeni defendant was merely a driver and a mechanic for bin Laden — not an al-Qaeda terrorist — but he doubts a fair trial is possible.
“This trial is going to proceed, but it’s not going to be full, open and fair,” Mizer said. “There are fundamental flaws in the system.”
Defense attorneys said they informed Hamdan of Robertson’s ruling but he had no reaction.
There is no guarantee the ruling means all the military commission trials will go forward. But judges in Washington’s federal courthouse, where hundreds of detainee lawsuits are pending, had said they were waiting to see how Robertson handled this first case.
Robertson, who was appointed to the bench by President Bill Clinton, seemed concerned at one point that government attorneys were unable to give him a clear answer about what constitutional rights prisoners have at Guantanamo Bay.
But he said he was obligated to let the process continue. He said Hamdan could raise any procedural challenges during trial and, if convicted, he can ask military and civilian appeals courts to settle constitutional questions. The ruling came shortly after a military judge at Guantanamo Bay also denied Hamdan’s request for a postponement.
Hamdan was captured at a roadblock in southern Afghanistan in November 2001, allegedly with two surface-to-air missiles in the car. He could be sentenced to life in prison if convicted of conspiracy and supporting terrorism. The defense says Hamdan was a low-level bin Laden employee, not a hardcore terrorist.
The Justice Department said it was pleased with the decision.
“The government looks forward to presenting its case against Mr. Hamdan to the commission,” spokesman Erik Ablin said.
“Under the procedures established by Congress in the Military Commissions Act, Mr. Hamdan will receive greater procedural protections than those ever before provided to defendants in military commission trials,” Ablin said.
Hamdan’s attorneys can rush to an appeals court to try to reverse Robertson’s order but the court would need to move quickly in time to stop the trial.
Justice Department attorneys wrote in court documents that prosecuting suspected terrorists is a key part of the war on terrorism, and a necessary step toward closing the Guantanamo Bay prison.
‘WITHIN SAFE LIMITS’: Hong Kong is to ask authorities in Guangdong for updates regarding the Taishan Nuclear Power Plant and inform the public of developments The Hong Kong government is closely watching a nearby Chinese nuclear power plant following a news report that it might be leaking, Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam (林鄭月娥) said yesterday. The plant’s operators have released few details, but nuclear experts have said that based on their brief public statement, the facility might be suffering a leak of gas from fuel rods inside a reactor. Government data showed that radiation levels in Hong Kong were normal on Monday night, Lam said. Data from the Hong Kong Observatory showed radiation levels were still normal yesterday. A French company that helps manage the Taishan Nuclear
Until recently, the location of executed Japanese prime minister Hideki Tojo’s remains was one of World War II’s biggest mysteries in the nation he once led. Now, a Japanese university professor has revealed declassified US military documents that appear to hold the answer. The documents show the cremated ashes of Tojo, one of the masterminds of the Pearl Harbor attack, were scattered from a US Army aircraft over the Pacific Ocean about 50km east of Yokohama, Japan’s second-largest city. It was a tension-filled, highly secretive mission, with US officials taking extreme steps to keep Tojo’s remains, and those of six others executed
When COVID-19 arrived in India, few places looked as vulnerable as Mumbai. However, a year on, South Asia’s most crowded city has surprised many by tackling a vicious second wave of the virus with considerable success. Gaurav Awasthi even traveled hundreds of kilometers from his home on the outskirts of Delhi to get his ailing wife a hospital bed there, paying an ambulance more than US$1,000 to drive 24 hours straight. “I cannot ever repay my debt to this city,” the 29-year-old said, recounting an ordeal that saw him spend five days fruitlessly searching for a bed across several cities, including Delhi.
In India’s capital, New Delhi, thousands of commuters yesterday crowded into underground train stations and shopping malls, prompting some doctors to say that it could lead to a resurgence in COVID-19 infections. Major Indian cities have begun lifting strict lockdowns as the nationwide tally of new infections has dropped to its lowest level in more than two months. However, disease experts and doctors have cautioned that a race toward resuming business as usual would compromise vaccination efforts, as only about 5 percent of all 950 million eligible adults have been inoculated. Doctors have said New Delhi’s near-complete reopening is concerning. The city’s authorities