Tongan business leaders -- blaming business rivalry, not activists supporting democracy -- put the cost of devastating riots that left eight dead and the capital in flames at up to US$120 million.
"There's a group of people who engineered this and we know who they are," said Mary Fonua, whose publishing company was destroyed.
"It's business rivalry, involving people who are likely to be rival candidates in the next election and also between Tongan and Chinese businessmen," Fonua said.
The blame for the rampage on Thursday was first placed at the feet of Tonga's pro-democracy movement, as the destruction started at the end of a political rally demanding reforms to the kingdom's semi-feudal system.
But the business community spoke out yesterday, saying the protests were engineered by business people trying to wipe out their competition.
"This was no damn riot," New Zealander Mike Jones, who employs 250 workers in Tonga, told a meeting of business owners.
"They have their own agenda. They abused the democracy rally to fire everyone up by feeding them and giving them drinks," Jones said.
Government officials, who have inspected the devastated area, said 66 buildings -- many housing several companies -- were damaged and estimated the cost at US$60 million to US$75 million, a figure ridiculed by storeowners.
"It's much more than that. Based on replacement cost it will be at least 200 to 250 million [Tongan pa'anga; US$96 million to US$120 million]," department store owner Richard Prema said.
Prema, who put his own losses at US$1.5 million, said a more definite figure would emerge later in the week when operators were allowed to return to their burnt-out premises to see what could be salvaged.
Lopeti Senituli, who serves as an adviser to Tongan Prime Minister Feteli Sevele, said every possible lead into the cause of the riot was being investigated.
"The police are certainly conducting an intensive and widespread investigation into the riots and its causes," he said.
He said two weeks before the riots the Tongan Business Group had presented a petition to the king's office calling for the sacking of the prime minister.
"They are part of the list of people that are being investigated," he added.
Senituli said it would take the country at least five years to rebuild the city center.
Australian and New Zealand troops and police, called in by the Tongan government, have secured the airport to allow international flights to resume. The foreign forces stepped up their presence on Monday as Sevele declared he would not step down over the deadly rampage.
Tongan Civil Aviation Minister Paul Karusu told the business meeting the foreign security personnel were not there to restore law and order but for their "apprehension and interrogation skills."
"We all know a crime was committed and this is being addressed," he said.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding