The Pentagon will not stop force-feeding Guantanamo detainee hunger strikers despite criticism from some doctors that has mounted even as the number of strikers has fallen, officials said on Friday.
A group of 263 doctors from seven countries called on the US to end the force-feeding and use of restraint chairs for detainees fed through nasal tubes into their stomachs at the US naval base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
Their letter, in the British medical journal the Lancet, also questioned how seriously the US medical profession takes allegations of torture by its own members.
"The policy of the department is unchanged, and it is to support the preservation of life by appropriate clinical means and to do that in a humane manner," said Bryan Whitman, a senior Pentagon spokesman.
The Pentagon said there were six detainees currently on a hunger strike, including three being tube-fed. It said the number of hunger strikers peaked at about 130 in September and was as high as 84 in late December, but fell to about a half dozen in January.
Detainees launched the strike in August to protest conditions and lack of legal rights at Guantanamo, according to their lawyers.
"I think it's fair to say that these are difficult issues -- they are difficult moral, ethical, legal issues," Whitman said. "And one would not expect that everyone would come to a consensus on this."
The Lancet letter's authors called it a challenge to the American Medical Association (AMA).
AMA Chairman Doctor Duane Cady said his group, the largest professional organization of physicians in the US, has told the military of its opposition to force-feeding hunger strikers, but noted "we are not a regulatory or licensing agency."
General Bantz Craddock has said Guantanamo officials in recent months began strapping some detainees into "restraint chairs" during force-feeding and isolating them after determining some had been purposely vomiting the liquid they had been fed.
Craddock, who as head of US Southern Command oversees the Guantanamo prison, said some detainees subsequently decided that taking part in the strike had become "too much of a hassle."
About 490 foreign terrorism suspects are being held at Guantanamo and only 10 have been charged with a crime.
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
A ship anchored off the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was seized and taken toward Iran and another — a cargo ship near Oman — sank after being attacked, authorities said on Thursday, as tensions escalated near the Strait of Hormuz. It was not immediately clear who was behind these incidents, but they happened as a senior Iranian official reiterated his country’s claim of control over the waterway and another said it had a right to seize oil tankers connected to the US. The turmoil in the strait has been a sticking point for weeks in talks between the US and Iran to
The researchers in Ireland looked at their computer screen, marveling at a medieval book tracked down in a Roman library. They flipped through its digitized pages and found their sought-after treasure: the oldest surviving English poem. “We were extremely surprised. We were speechless. We couldn’t believe our eyes when we first saw that,” said Elisabetta Magnanti, a visiting research fellow at Trinity College Dublin’s school of English. The poem was also within the main body of Latin text, she said, calling it “extraordinary.” Composed in Old English by a Northumbrian agricultural worker in the 7th century, Caedmon’s Hymn appears within some copies of