One of Singapore's few opposition figures was declared bankrupt yesterday after he failed to pay damages to the city's founding father Lee Kuan Yew (
"I have just been adjudicated a bankrupt ... The judge has adjudicated, so I'm legally a bankrupt right now," said Chee Soon Juan(徐順全), secretary-general of the Singapore Democratic Party, to reporters after emerging from a closed-door session at the High Court.
Chee earlier said he had not paid S$500,000 Singapore dollars (US$307,000) in damages to Goh Chok Tong (吳作棟) and Lee Kuan Yew, as ordered by the High Court.
"I certainly don't have 500,000 dollars," he said, adding it was unlikely that he would appeal the judgement.
Lawyers for Goh and Lee had sent separate letters to Chee on Feb. 28 last year demanding payment of the money, plus legal costs and expenses.
By law, bankrupt persons cannot run for public office.
But even if the ruling had not been handed down, Chee said he would still not be eligible to run in general elections widely expected this year because of previous fines incurred in his long-running battle with the ruling People's Action Party (PAP).
Chee questioned the timing of the High Court ruling against him, noting it came ahead of widely anticipated elections.
"I guess it's their usual ploy that before the elections ... they tend to make sure that the opposition is as hampered as it can be," he said.
He vowed to continue fighting for democratic rights.
"Whether I'm made a bankrupt or not, I will continue to do what I intend to do, that is, to fight for democracy in Singapore," Chee said.
"Elections are just one of the ways of doing political work in Singapore. In the past two, three years, I haven't just spent my time thinking about the elections," he said.
"I try to organize people, write, speak as much as possible within the international community," he said.
The High Court in January last year found Chee liable for damages as a result of remarks made about Goh and Lee during the election campaign in October 2001.
The cases involved accusations by Chee, which he later retracted, that the former prime ministers had lent about US$10 billion to then-Indonesian president Suharto at the height of the East Asian financial crisis in 1998.
Lee, Goh and other members of the PAP, which has ruled over Singapore since its independence in 1965, have a long history of taking crippling legal action against their political opponents and media critics.
Human rights groups have criticized the practice but the city-state's rulers argue they need to take legal action to protect their reputations.
Lee led Singapore to independence and ruled until 1990.
He then handed power to Goh, who stood down last year for Lee's son, Lee Hsien Loong.
Goh and the elder Lee remain in the Cabinet as chief advisers of the new prime minister.
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has appeared in the past few days with a bandage about the size of a few postage stamps on the back of his head, in the latest episode to stoke speculation about his health. The bandage was visible in state media images when Kim appeared at a Korean People’s Army event from July 24 to Tuesday last week, the NK News Web site and Chosun Ilbo newspaper said. There were also images at events late last month in which the bandage was gone and a greenish spot was visible, they said, citing a review of North
CAUSE FOR ALARM: The virus has spread through 14 provinces in just a few days despite high vaccination rates, as authorities ramp up containment measures China is confronting its broadest COVID-19 outbreak since the pathogen emerged in late 2019 after the SARS-CoV-2 Delta variant broke through the country’s defenses, with cases now in 14 provinces. While the overall number of infections — more than 300 so far — is much lower than outbreaks elsewhere, the wide spread indicates that the variant has been on the loose for some time and is alarming officials who wield the strictest containment measures in the world. It is the biggest challenge for the world’s second-largest economy since the virus was first detected in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in December
MISINFORMATION: The digital giant said there were ‘numerous’ offending videos that were removed from the channel, which has 1.85 million subscribers Sky News Australia has been banned from uploading content to YouTube for seven days after contravening its medical misinformation policies by posting numerous videos that denied the existence of COVID-19 or encouraged people to use hydroxychloroquine or ivermectin. The ban was imposed by the digital giant on Thursday afternoon, the day after the UK’s Daily Telegraph ended Alan Jones’ regular column amid controversy about his COVID-19 commentary, which included calling the New South Wales Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant a village idiot on his Sky News program. YouTube has not disclosed which Sky News program the videos were from, but said there
CLAMPDOWN: Sydney’s lockdown has been extended three times, and more than 1,300 police were patrolling the city on Saturday to deter any would-be demonstrators Sydney reported a record-matching number of new local cases of COVID-19, while infections also rose in the state of Queensland, a day after its most-populous region went into lockdown. There were 239 cases in Sydney in the 24 hours to 8pm on Saturday, equal to the tally set three days earlier and the most since the Delta variant of SARS-CoV-2 began sweeping through the nation’s largest city in June. New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian said there were some signs that the virus is mostly being contained to parts of Sydney’s southwest, where the strictest curbs are in place. While most residents have