The Carlyle Group, a large investment firm linked to US and British politicians, has pulled out of a scheme to recover billions of dollars from Iraq, following the publication in The Guardian this week of documents detailing the secret proposals of a consortium with which it was involved.
Carlyle published a withdrawal letter yesterday sent to other members of its consortium.
The consortium offered a confidential deal to use its political influence to collect a US$27 billion debt owed by Iraq to Kuwait, despite US pleas for debt forgiveness from other countries.
A Carlyle partner, former US secretary of state James Baker, has been accused of a conflict of interest, because he has been touring the world demanding debt relief on behalf of US President George W. Bush, while his firm had a private interest in doing a special deal with Kuwait.
Carlyle's letter, signed by its general counsel, Jeffrey Ferguson, and dated Oct. 13, says: "Carlyle does not want to participate in the consortium's work in any way, shape or form and will not invest any money raised by the consortium's efforts."
The letter also claims that at the time Baker was appointed the president's debt envoy that "Mr Baker understood that Carlyle would have no involvement with the consortium."
Carlyle admits it was involved in the original scheme by a consortium of financiers and lobbyists, who lobbied Kuwait at a meeting on July 16 last year.
Documents from the consortium describe Carlyle's chairman, former US defense secretary Frank Carlucci, as the man who "played a convening and guiding role on behalf of Carlyle."
They also specifically mention Baker's name as one of the "leading individuals associated with Carlyle" who they claim will be free to play a "decisive role" once Baker retires from his "temporary position" as debt forgiveness envoy.
The scheme had two parts. The first was to turn over Kuwait's US$27 billion war reparations debt to a foundation set up by the consortium, which would then use its political influence to ensure Iraq was made to pay up.
The second part of the plan was to benefit Carlyle specifically, by handing over to them US$1 billion from Kuwait to manage in their investment funds.
The documents suggest that Carlyle scaled back its stated involvement in the scheme while Baker was in his official post, but Kuwait was informed by the consortium that this was temporary.
The letter to Kuwait with the detailed proposal confirming Carlyle's continuation as a participant was signed by another former secretary of state turned lobbyist, Madeleine Albright, by a Washington law firm, Coudert Bros, and by the consortium's leader, Shahameen Sheikh of the "International Strategy Group."
In its second change of position in as many days, Carlyle claimed yesterday in its letter that "Carlyle was never a member of the consortium." The previous day, its spokesman claimed Carlyle "withdrew" from the consortium after Baker became debt envoy last December.
The day before that, its spokesman Chris Ullman told The Guardian, Carlyle had merely "restricted" its consortium role.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told