A 34-year-old soldier, identified by his surname, Chiang (江), has been indicted on charges of contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例) after allegedly providing confidential military electronic records to a China-linked organization in exchange for money, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office said in a statement yesterday.
Chiang was recruited by the organization after encountering a Chinese national while seeking loans online to address financial difficulties, prosecutors said.
He allegedly received payments in exchange for providing confidential military information, they said.
Photo: Huang Liang-chieh, Taipei Times
Chiang was a sergeant in the Military Police’s Dongao Ling Unit from Oct. 16, 2019, until he left the service on Jan. 20 last year, the statement said.
He re-enlisted with a reserve brigade in Yilan County on June 16 last year, it said.
The Chinese national was a member of the Wolong Society, a group allegedly established to recruit active-duty Taiwanese military personnel to gather classified information, it said.
Beginning in 2022, the man allegedly asked Chiang to provide confidential official information, promising payments in return for joining the organization, it said.
To demonstrate his loyalty before joining, Chiang allegedly recorded videos expressing support for cross-strait unification, opposing Taiwanese independence and pledging not to resist in the event of a cross-strait conflict, prosecutors said.
After joining the group, Chiang allegedly received an initial payment of NT$200,000. In 2024, he used his account to access the military’s regulations system, downloading nearly 100 files and photographing confidential electronic records before sending them to the organization, prosecutors said.
After leaving the military in January last year, Chiang continued to face financial difficulties and agreed to re-enlist to obtain additional confidential information for the group if the opportunity arose, they said.
Prosecutors estimated that Chiang received nearly NT$600,000 in bribes.
They formally indicted him following the conclusion of an investigation.
Chiang is in detention, prosecutors added.
McDonald’s Taiwan today said it has halted sales of its limited edition Sea Flavor Fried Shrimp Burger and its double-patty version, after the importer notified the company last night that the shrimp patties contained nitrofurans — a group of synthetic antibiotics — and their metabolites. Sales of the shrimp burgers were suspended nationwide at 10:30am today and customers who purchased them yesterday or in the early hours of this morning would be eligible for refunds, the company said, adding that more details would be announced within a week. McDonald’s Taiwan said it was notified last night that subsequent batch testing had found
UNNECESSARY?: While some said that the switch would mean more sunlight exposure for workers, others said the government should promote flexible working hours instead An online debate has resurfaced on whether Taiwan should switch to the same time zone as Japan, with supporters citing its geographic location and saying that China would have no right to object. The debate erupted on Threads when users suggested that Taiwan should stop using the same time zone as China, Malaysia and Singapore, GMT+8, and instead switch one hour ahead to the same time zone as Japan and South Korea, GMT+9, which it is geographically closer to. Under GMT+9 the sun would set later year-round, meaning that people would see sunlight after getting off work even in the winter and
The Civil Aviation Administration (CAA) yesterday confirmed that Uni Air has submitted an application to suspend its Taipei-Hualien flights due to persistently low passenger rates. The airline, which is the only operator of the Taipei-Hualien route, proposed to suspend the service after Mandarin Airlines, another domestic flight carrier, applied to suspend flights to Hualien departing from Kaohsiung and Taichung earlier this year. The average load factor of the Taipei-Hualien flights during the first six months was 24.2 percent, CAA data showed. The average seat occupancy rate dropped even further to 17 percent last month, even though it was the beginning
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr today said that the Philippines would not allow any attacks from its territory in the event of a conflict in the Taiwan Strait, as it “has no desire to be a belligerent nation in the region.” Marcos later said that his country would continue to follow the “one China” policy while maintaining its existing ties with Taiwan within that framework. The Philippine president made the comments while attending the Foreign Correspondents Association of the Philippines Presidential Luncheon in Manila. He was asked whether he would allow the US military to launch an attack from Philippine bases in the