The Hai Kun (海鯤), Taiwan’s first locally built submarine, is said to be departing for its first submerged trials as early as this morning.
The Hai Kun, which underwent a dry-docking on Dec. 5 last year for calibration and maintenance, was undocked and returned to pier No. 91 at Kaohsiung Harbor for surface trials on Wednesday last week.
CSBC Corp, Taiwan on Friday said that submarine testing procedures are highly complex and often take a very long time — especially for a prototype vessel, which, based on foreign experience, can sometimes take more than a year.
Photo courtesy of CSBC Corp, Taiwan
The submarine was first moved from the Haichang facility to CSBC’s small dry dock on Feb. 27, 2024, before shifting to pier 91 at Kaohsiung Harbor on July 15, 2024, to commence harbor acceptance tests.
Counting from July 15, 2024, to the start of pier-based testing, the prototype’s overall trial phase has already exceeded 1.5 years.
On June 14 last year, the Hai Kun left the pier and conducted its first self-powered maneuvering within Kaohsiung Harbor, which was followed by initial sea acceptance tests three days later.
Until Nov. 28 last year, all trials were limited to surface navigation, with no submerged operations conducted, resulting in a delay to the contractually scheduled delivery date of November last year and prompting the navy to impose penalties on CSBC.
If calculated from the first sea trial on June 17 last year, the prototype has so far undergone only seven months of testing.
Given the three upcoming phases — snorkel-depth tests, shallow-water depth tests and deep-water depth tests — it is estimated that completion of all trials is unlikely to occur until at least the middle of this year.
In related news, the US-based Stars and Stripes on Friday reported that the Pentagon forecast that China would have more than 75 submarines by 2030, while the US has 69.
China has rapidly built up its submarine fleet by making a technological U-turn to produce boats the US has not built in more than 65 years, the report said.
More than half of the estimated 66 submarines operated by the Chinese navy are conventionally powered, while the fleet includes more than 20 newer Yuan-class diesel-electric boats, it said.
China’s Yuan-class submarines are about 78m long with a displacement of 3,600 tonnes that can move at 20 knots (37kph) submerged, carrying up to 65 crew, with six torpedo tubes and the capability to launch anti-ship missiles, it said.
Yuan-class ships are built to operate in the relatively shallow South China Sea, with some coastal shelves just 76m below the surface, and many reefs — some of which China has fortified as missile bases or airfields meant to give cover to Chinese ships and submarines if the US and its allies intervene in the region, it said.
In comparison, the main variant of the US Navy’s latest Virginia-class submarine is about 115m long, with a 7,900-tonne displacement and a speed of more than 25 knots, carrying up to 135 crew, with four torpedo tubes and vertical missile launch capability, it said, adding that the US plans on building only two Virginia-class attack submarine this year.
Meanwhile, two aging Los Angeles-class submarines are scheduled for decommissioning this year, the report said.
The navy is still waiting for its first of the new Columbia-class ballistic missile submarines, which is 18 months behind schedule and not expected to be delivered prior to 2030, it said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not