The Constitutional Court today issued its first judgement of the year, with five out of eight justices ruling that a defendant’s attorney can petition to cancel or change a court-ordered detention, as long as it aligns with the defendant’s interests and wishes.
While the Constitutional Court can constitutionally have up to 15 justices, it currently only has eight, as opposition party legislators have twice blocked the appointment of seven new justices.
This is the court’s second judgement since opposition party legislators passed amendments to the Constitutional Court Procedure Act (憲法訴訟法) at the end of 2024 requiring at least 10 justices to participate in deliberations and rulings, effectively freezing the court’s function.
Photo: Yang Hsin-hui
Five of the current justices issued a judgement on Dec. 19 last year ruling the amendments unconstitutional and invalid.
The remaining three refused to participate in deliberations, arguing that the ruling itself was invalid.
The judgement today said that these three justices also refused to participate in deliberations for this case.
If these three were counted toward the total number of justices, the court would be unable to issue a ruling, which would interfere with it exercising its power of constitutional interpretation and impede the petitioner’s right to litigation, contravening the Constitution, the judgement said.
Therefore, following the reasoning of the court’s judgement on Dec. 19, the three justices who refused to participate would be excluded from the current total, it said.
Today's ruling was about a petition accepted on Oct. 11, 2023, regarding a provision in Article 416 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (刑事訴訟法) that only allows detained defendants to file for release on their own behalf.
The petitioner, Lin Feng-fan (林峰帆), said that as detainees’ personal liberties are restricted, they are often unable to file for themselves.
However, lawyers are not allowed to file for them under the provision, effectively depriving them of any opportunity for redress, he said.
This contravenes constitutional protections of personal liberty and the right to litigation, Lin said, requesting the court declare the provision unconstitutional.
Lin was indicted by the Pingtung District Prosecutors’ Office for contravening the Fire, Ammunition and Knives Control Act (槍砲彈藥刀械管制條例), and the Pingtung District Court ordered his detention on Dec. 29, 2022.
The Pingtung District Court later rejected a request by Lin’s attorney to revoke the detention, as it only bore the attorney’s signature and not the defendant’s.
In today’s judgement, the Constitutional Court ruled this decision unconstitutional and said it should be annulled, remanding the case to the Pingtung District Court.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not