The Gongguan Traffic Circle in Taipei is to be redesigned beginning on Sept. 13, marking an end to the city's most hazardous intersection, the Taipei City Government said today.
Taipei Mayor Chiang Wan-an (蔣萬安) in March announced that the traffic circle is to be demolished and the underpass filled in to create a traditional intersection.
The traffic circle that connects Keelung Road and Roosevelt Road in Zhongzheng District (中正) has been the city’s most hazardous intersection for seven consecutive years, city data showed.
Photo: Taipei Times
Work is expected to take 65 days, during which the roundabout would be converted from a seven-way junction to a standard four-way intersection with crosswalks, the Taipei Traffic Engineering Office said.
Buses would be rerouted from the underpass to a surface-level bus lane on Roosevelt Road, with services from Fuhe Bridge (福和橋) and Keelung Road using the new bus lane, it said.
The new planning, lane design and traffic control system are expected to reduce the risk of accidents by up to 63 percent, after the intersection ranked as the No. 1 spot for collisions for seven consecutive years, it said.
More than 70 percent of accidents occur due to collisions between vehicles traveling in the same direction, as the area is prone to overtaking, undertaking and weaving, the office said.
The changes would also shorten walking distances and reduce risk for pedestrians, it added.
Work was originally set to begin on June 28, but residents were concerned whether the Taipei City Government had adequately informed the public.
Residents also asked the government to conduct public surveys or a local referendum, while others called for the department to first improve road markings and traffic signals, although all requests were denied.
Expert reviews and international case studies showed that road markings would only improve safety by 5 to 12 percent due to the high traffic volume, high percentage of scooters and the unique design of the traffic circle, the office said.
Previous measures, such as marking guide lines on the road, failed to improve safety, it added.
Additional reporting by CNA
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not