Between January and last month, 94 cases related to the “personal safety” of Taiwanese businesspeople in China were recorded, the Straits Exchange Foundation (SEF) said yesterday.
Such cases include funeral arrangements and death compensation, restrictions on personal freedoms due to legal disputes, medical evacuations and issues involving lost or expired documents, the foundation said.
The figure represents a slight decline compared with the same period last year.
Photo: CNA
Separately, four Taiwanese members of the I-Kuan Tao (一貫道) religious group, all older than 70, remain in detention in China and are likely to face prosecution, it said.
The SEF is a semi-official agency set up by the Taiwanese government to handle civil and business affairs with China, but it does not have its own offices there.
In emergencies, it relies on local Taiwanese business associations to collect information and provide immediate support to affected people and their families, it said.
It also coordinates with its Chinese counterpart, the Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Straits, to help coordinate with the Chinese authorities when necessary.
Many cases involve business secrets or personal data, so details cannot usually be disclosed publicly, the foundation said.
While individual cases sometimes change, such as a person initially reported as “missing” later confirmed to have been arrested, its statistics do not retroactively update those classifications, it said.
The nature and causes of “missing” cases also vary, it added.
Some cases involve only a temporary loss of contact with family, while others concern people who have been detained without their relatives being informed, it said.
Once a family becomes aware of a detention, arrest, trial or house arrest, the nature of the case changes, it added.
After accepting a case, the foundation said it immediately reaches out to the person or their family to gather details and offer assistance.
Depending on the circumstances, the SEF might also issue reminders or anonymous warnings to other Taiwanese businesspeople living or working in China, it said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not