Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Secretary-General Lin Yu-chang (林右昌) yesterday said that he has submitted his resignation, after the mass recall backed by his party failed over the weekend.
Lin wrote on Facebook that he tendered his resignation to President William Lai (賴清德), who is also DPP chairman, on Sunday.
As the ruling party’s secretary-general, Lin said he is responsible for any shortcomings and failures to meet the expectations of society and party supporters.
Photo: CNA
He also praised recall campaign volunteers for their selfless spirit, courage and unwavering commitment to Taiwan.
“What we need least is to make excuses for the outcome. Instead, we move forward,” Lin said, adding that while there are many challenges, people must continue to defend Taiwan.
His announcement came after all 24 Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers survived the recall bids against them on Saturday, ensuring that the KMT, along with Taiwan People’s Party, retains control of the legislature.
Photo: CNA
As of press time last night, Lai had not accepted Lin’s resignation.
Another round of seven KMT legislators are to face recall votes on Aug. 23.
The DPP must shoulder even greater responsibility and be more proactive in the next recall vote, and provide support to the seven districts that would be voting, DPP caucus chief executive Rosalia Wu (吳思瑤) said yesterday.
The DPP would listen to all public opinion and feedback, Wu said, adding that criticism is to be expected, but the party would withstand it.
The party would not let recall groups or citizens face the next recall votes alone, and would put its all into the campaign, she said.
Saturday’s vote encompassed a wide area, given it involved 24 electoral districts, and was made more difficult by the fact that most are KMT strongholds, Wu said.
For the next recall vote, the DPP could focus its energy and resources on the seven districts, Wu said, adding that she hoped party headquarters would enact more strategic planning.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a