Prosecutors today said they are investigating Chinese Nationalist Party Legislator Cheng Cheng-chien (鄭正鈐), following allegations that he received campaign funds from Beijing and leaked government information.
Carol Lin (林志潔), spokesperson for the recall campaigns against Cheng and suspended Hsinchu mayor Ann Kao (高虹安), on Wednesday filed a complaint saying that a whistle-blower, who claimed to be Cheng’s former assistant, alleged that Cheng had accepted funding from the Chinese Communist Party.
Cheng had also allegedly instructed his assistant to use his phone to reply to messages from China's Taiwan Affairs Office (TAO) and send government files to the TAO using WeChat, a Chinese messaging platform, the complaint said.
Photo: Taipei Times file photo
Lin also accused Cheng of receiving bribes from contractors by asking them to pay his assistant’s salaries, prosecutors said.
In addition, Cheng allegedly inflated his assistant’s salaries and failed to provide them with labor and health insurance as required by law, Lin’s complaint said.
Cheng was also accused of unauthorized personal use of government vehicles and asking police escorts to drive him to election campaigns and anti-recall campaigns.
The High Prosecutors’ Office today said the case would be handled by a team of investigators specializing in “major cases endangering national security and social order.”
The Taipei Prosecutors’ Office said it would investigate whether Cheng contravened the Political Donations Act (政治獻金法), National Security Act (國家安全法) and Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例).
Cheng has denied receiving Chinese funds and leaking confidential information involving national security to the TAO.
Asked if he had given any information to the TAO, he said the office might have asked for some calligraphy to “pray for blessings,” which he sent.
Asked whether his election campaign materials were provided by China, Cheng said they were made in China, but were procured by Taiwanese companies.
He said he would pursue legal action in light of "repeated false accusations," dismissing the allegations made by the recall campaign group as “smearing.”
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has