Several commercial drivers’ groups protested outside the Ministry of Transportation and Communications yesterday, voicing opposition to a proposed increase in fines for motorists who fail to yield to pedestrians, and calling for stricter penalties on pedestrians who engage in dangerous behavior.
Dozens of drivers parked their cars around the block near the ministry, and held a news conference in front of the ministry building.
Under the ministry’s proposed amendments to the rules governing the issuance of fines for traffic contraventions, motorists who fail to yield at pedestrian crossings or intersections, resulting in minor injuries, would face fines of between NT$18,000 and NT$30,000, up from the current NT$7,200 to NT$12,000.
Photo: Lo Pei-de, Taipei Times
If the contravention leads to serious injuries, the fine would rise to NT$36,000, compared with the current range of NT$18,000 to NT$30,000.
Drivers would be fined NT$36,000 if their failure to yield results in a pedestrian’s death, which is unchanged from the current regulations.
The proposed amendments have been made available for public review and are scheduled to take effect next month.
National Automobile Driver’s Rights Alliance president Liu Hong-chang (劉鴻樟) said the voices of drivers should also be listened to.
“Pedestrians who cross the street when the signal is red, or who fail to pay attention while using pedestrian crossings, should not be fined merely a few hundred dollars,” he said.
“Compared with the penalties imposed on drivers, fines for misbehaving pedestrians are disproportionately low. This stark disparity in punishment would lead to frequent conflicts between pedestrians and drivers,” he added.
The protesters also called for pedestrians who do not follow traffic signals while crossing the street to be fined NT$18,000, the same as drivers.
Police should be deployed at key intersections to enforce the rules and deter reckless pedestrians, they said, adding that traffic signals should be redesigned to better separate vehicle and pedestrian flow to improve overall safety.
In response to the demands, Department of Public Transportation and Supervision Director-General Lin Fu-shan (林福山) said the proposed amendments mainly focus on cases in which pedestrians are injured or killed due to drivers failing to yield.
“The purpose of imposing heavier fines on drivers is so they would see protecting pedestrians as their top priority,” Lin said.
“We would also step up safety awareness campaigns aimed at pedestrians,” he added.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not