A government-convened price review committee could approve Taiwan Power Co’s (Taipower) plan to increase electricity rates tomorrow, sources say.
The committee is set to meet tomorrow to decide next month’s electricity rate adjustments, although sources said that they could increase rates after a “buffer period.”
It has been reported that there could be three scenarios regarding electricity rates.
Photo: Taipei Times file photo
The first is an average rate increase of six percent; the second, a rate increase of under six percent to limit the effect on households; and the third, an increase that does not go into effect until July to give the Legislative Yuan time to decide on whether to provide the company with subsidies.
At a news conference today, Cabinet spokesperson Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said the question of electricity rates is subject to discussion by the price review committee.
The Executive Yuan proposed a NT$100-billion (US$3.02 billion) subsidy for Taipower on two separate occasions, last year May as well as this January.
The first proposed subsidy passed its preliminary review but is pending legislative approval, while the second proposal, included as part of the 2025 central government budget, was completely rejected by the Legislative Yuan.
The six- to eight-percent rate increase estimates all come from people outside the company, Taipower chairman Tseng Wen-sheng (曾文生) said.
The estimated rate increase does align with Taipower’s revenue and losses, Tseng added.
Adjusting electricity rates for households and industrial customers have different impacts on inflation, as the former directly increases the Consumer Price Index (CPI), a measure of inflation, while the latter is an indirect effect, Tseng said.
Keeping electricity rates below cost is unsustainable and slows progress on developing green energy solutions, the Taiwan Climate Action Network said, proposing three measures to alleviate the impact on the public.
Their proposed measures are implementing higher rate increases for heavy users, allocating tax revenue for energy-saving initiatives and slowing the rate increases to raise energy prices while not increasing the burden on households.
Additional reporting by Chen Chia-i
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not