The High Prosecutors’ Office today said it has indicted retired army lieutenant general Kao An-kuo (高安國) and five others for allegedly developing an organization in Taiwan to assist China in the event of a military invasion.
The six defendants were suspected of contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and have been transferred to the Taiwan High Court, the office said.
The court ruled to detain them prohibiting any outside contact, it added.
Photo: Reuters
After retiring from the army, Kao created the pro-unification group “Republic of China Taiwan Military Government,” the office said in a news release.
Together with a military spokesman surnamed Hou (侯) and a woman surnamed Liu (劉), Kao was recruited by Chinese intelligence personnel in 2019 after several exchanges.
Hou and Liu are suspected of soliciting financial support from the Chinese military to establish armed organizations and operational bases in Taiwan, prosecutors said.
The six defendants collectively received financial proceeds from China totaling more than NT$9.62 million (US$294,041), they said.
Hou and Liu also recruited former military colleagues to subvert the government, conspiring to support the Chinese army in the event of a military invasion of Taiwan, they said.
The court should impose a heavy prison sentence of at least 10 and eight years respectively, as Kao and Liu put national security in an unpredictable and dangerous situation, prosecutors said.
Prosecutors requested that the other defendants receive sentences ranging from three years and five months to more than eight years imprisonment.
In 2021, Kao published a video of himself in military fatigues calling on Taiwanese military officers to surrender to China and overthrow the Democratic Progressive Party government.
Additional reporting by Jason Pan
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a