The Ministry of Digital Affairs plans to help fund Chunghwa Telecom in the construction of new international cable landing stations and backup servers as part of the government’s efforts to shore up the nation’s digital resilience, the agency said yesterday.
The announcement came after the nation’s largest telecom on Friday last week reported that one of its international cables installed off the nation’s northeast coast was damaged.
Chunghwa and the Coast Guard Administration (CGA) on Saturday said the cable was cut by the Shunxing-39 (順興39號), a Cameroon-registered, Hong Kong-owned freighter.
Photo: Taipei Times
The incident did not disrupt voice, data or corporate customer services as a backup system was activated on Friday, the ministry said on Monday.
Also on Monday, Chunghwa said it recruited a cable repair ship from overseas, and the broken cable could be fixed by the end of the month, weather permitting.
The ministry yesterday said it aims to lower the risks associated with broken submarine cables and their impact on the nation’s communications networks caused by introducing incentives for telecoms to build more cables and shared backup systems for multiple underwater lines.
To shore up the resilience of the country’s communications systems, the ministry said it has secured funding to subsidize Chunghwa in constructing new international cable landing stations and facilities to accommodate backup servers, which would help increase the number of international submarine cables.
Meanwhile, the ministry has also obtained funding to bolster the resilience of existing international submarine cable landing stations, it said.
“We are backing up important communications networks in the country using multiple heterogeneous communications systems, such as microwave and satellite communications systems,” it said.
When the cables connecting Taiwan proper and Lienchiang County (Matsu) were damaged in early 2023, the ministry approved Chunghwa’s plan to expand its bandwidth for a microwave communications network to 12 gigabits per second, it said.
In that incident, two cables between Taiwan and the Matsu Islands were disconnected on Feb. 2 and Feb. 8 that year.
Internet to the offshore county was cut off for more than 50 days before one of the cables was repaired on March 31, 2023.
The ministry said it would list the satellite systems that would be available to use when both submarine cables and microwave systems malfunction.
The SES medium-orbit satellite serves as the backhaul link for the base stations on Matsu’s Nangan Island (南竿島), while OneWeb’s low-orbit satellite system can ensure that government and military communications can continue, it said.
“We will also ensure owners of key communications infrastructure have cybersecurity protection plans,” it added.
The nation has about 10 international submarine cables, which are categorized as key infrastructure and regulated by the Ministry of Digital Affairs. Domestic submarine cables are regulated by the National Communications Commission.
The Shunxing-39 was supposed to sail to South Korea after it was briefly detained by the coast guard on Friday on suspicion of dragging its anchor over the international subsea cable.
The CGA said it has asked South Korean authorities for assistance in the investigation into the ship after rough seas prevented them from boarding the vessel near northern Taiwan.
Seven Chinese nationals were crewing the vessel, which a coast guard official confirmed was owned by Jie Yang Trading Ltd, a company registered in Hong Kong.
Institute for National Defense and Security Research fellow Su Tzu-yun (蘇紫雲) said the latest incident was part of “Beijing’s systematic action against Taiwan” and was designed to create unease among Taiwanese.
“If Taiwan’s undersea cables are completely cut off, its connections to the world are cut off,” he said.
Additional reporting by CNA and AFP
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the