The Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) yesterday urged the Chinese authorities to protect the legal interests of a Taiwanese man who is being investigated in China for his alleged role in a fraud case.
China should observe the principle of presumption of innocence and respect the Taiwanese man’s legal rights during its investigation, the MAC said.
The statement came after China’s Taiwan Affairs Office (TAO) said in a news release that 22-year-old Kuo Yu-hsuan (郭宇軒) is being investigated in China for alleged fraud.
Photo: Chung Li-hua, Taipei Times
The TAO said the Chinese authorities would protect Kuo’s interests under the law, but it did not provide any details on the case or the actions he was allegedly involved in nor did they disclose where he was being held.
Kuo went missing after he arrived in Shanghai on Aug. 27, and his friends and relatives have not been able to make contact with him since then.
The MAC expressed dissatisfaction with the TAO as the Chinese agency did not disclose any information about Kuo’s situation until almost one month after he went missing.
The MAC also blamed the Chinese authorities for not informing the Taiwanese authorities that Kuo’s personal freedom had been restricted.
The TAO failed to provide information about Kuo’s situation until people in Taiwan expressed concerns about his safety, it said.
On Thursday last week, MAC Deputy Minister Liang Wen-chieh (梁文傑) said that Kuo went to China with his friends.
Kuo’s family reported him missing to police when they could not contact him, while Taiwan’s Straits Exchange Foundation wrote a letter to its Chinese counterpart — the Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Straits — amid concerns about his safety.
Kuo’s older sister on social media said her brother told his family he had arrived safely in Shanghai, but they were not able to make contact with him by phone or online messenger services after that.
Kuo’s sister added that she did not rule out the possibility that her brother was being defrauded or was simply arrested while he was just visiting.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not