The Supreme Court on Thursday ordered former CTBC Financial Holding Co vice chairman Jeffrey Koo Jr (辜仲諒) to be retried after overturning a High Court ruling that acquitted him on charges of breach of trust in a financial embezzlement case involving an offshore “paper company” named Red Fire Development.
The Supreme Court cited inadequate reasoning in the High Court’s decision, which had cleared Koo, 60, of allegations under the Banking Act (銀行法) and the Criminal Code despite causing significant financial losses to CTBC Bank.
However, it upheld the High Court’s ruling that acquitted Koo of money laundering and stock price manipulation. The decision is final.
Photo: CNA
Koo stepped down as vice chairman of CTBC Financial after he and other executives in the financial firm, including former CTBC Financial chief financial officer Perry Chang (張明田) and former CTBC Bank chief financial manager Lin Hsiang-hsi (林祥曦), were indicted in the case, nicknamed the “Red Fire” case, in 2006.
CTBC Bank in 2004 bought US$390 million worth of structured notes linked to Mega Financial Holding Co from issuer Barclays Bank PLC on instructions from Koo.
The purchase was made without approval from the bank’s board of directors, while the transaction was aimed at obtaining a stake in Mega Financial, prosecutors said.
However, CTBC Bank sold the structured securities at a lower price to Red Fire Development in what prosecutors deemed a “non-arm’s length” deal.
Koo and his executives manipulated Mega Financial’s share prices so Red Fire Development, which had been capitalized at just US$1, earned about NT$1 billion (US$31.32 million) in profit, the prosecutors said.
After the transaction, Red Fire Development wired the proceeds to several other offshore companies so that the illegal funds would not be traced, they added.
The prosecutors said Red Fire Development was not part of CTBC Financial and that Koo’s move to dispose of the structured bonds aimed to enable the paper company to make profits and caused a massive financial loss to the firm.
The High Court in December also found Chang and Lin not guilty of breach of trust, money laundering and stock price manipulation.
Koo, Chang and Lin were not found to have disposed of the structured bonds to Red Fire Development for their own interests, the High Court said in its ruling last year, adding that the transaction did not demonstrate their intent to hurt CTCB Financial’s interests.
However, the Supreme Court has ordered a retrial of Chang and Lin for breach of trust.
The Taipei District Court in 2010 found Koo guilty in the Red Fire case, citing the Securities and Exchange Act (證券交易法) and the Banking Act, handing Koo a nine-year sentence.
After an appeal, the High Court in 2013 ruled on the case, sentencing Koo to nine years and eight months in jail and imposing a fine of NT$150 million.
Then the Supreme Court in 2014 struck down the 2013 High Court ruling and ordered a retrial.
The High Court in 2018 handed Koo a sentence of three years and six months after he returned his illegal income from the scandal.
The High Court in 2021 reheard the case after a trial order from the Supreme Court, and ruled that Koo and his executives were not guilty of breach of trust or stock price manipulation.
The High Court in 2022 was ordered by the Supreme Court to rehear the case again and in December last year found Koo not guilty of breach of trust, money laundering and stock price manipulation.
Koo, the oldest son of the late CTBC Financial founder Jeffrey Koo Sr (辜濂松), rejoined the board of directors of CTBC Financial in May after being appointed as one of the new directors.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not