Thirty-five people have sought medical treatment for acute symptoms after allegedly eating banh mi (Vietnamese sandwiches) from a vendor in Jhubei City (竹北), the Hsinchu County Public Health Bureau said yesterday.
The bureau said that since Saturday, it has received several reports of suspected food poisoning from hospitals.
The vendor has been ordered to temporarily suspend its business, it said, adding that tests were being conducted to determine whether the people had food poisoning, with results expected in about two weeks.
Photo courtesy of the Hsinchu County Government
A preliminary investigation showed that the people who sought treatment had recently eaten banh mi at a vendor at a retail market in Jhubei, it said.
Of the 35 cases, 14 were reported by Ton Yen General Hospital, 12 reported by China Medical University Hsinchu Hospital, four by National Taiwan University Hospital’s Hsinchu Branch and two by Mackay Memorial Hospital Hsinchu Branch, while three sought treatment at other healthcare facilities, it said.
The people reported vomiting, abdominal cramps, abdominal pain, diarrhea, fever and dizziness, the bureau said, adding that five people were still hospitalized.
Bureau inspectors checked the hygiene processes and conditions at the vendor and collected specimens of ham and butter, as well as swabs from cutting boards, trays and the hands of workers, it said.
The inspection found some flaws, including indications of a possible vector of transmission for pathogens, ingredients that had been repackaged without an expiration date, and ingredients, seasonings and kitchenware stored on the floor, it said.
The vendor has been ordered to improve the issues, it said, adding that if it fails to address them, it would face a fine of NT$60,000 to NT$200 million (US$1,879 to US$6.26 million) as stipulated by the Act Governing Food Safety and Sanitation (食品安全衛生管理法).
In other news, the Taipei Department of Health said that 24 percent of produce items failed pesticide residue testing.
Food and Drug Division Director Lin Kuan-chen (林冠蓁) said that the department last month randomly sampled 50 fresh vegetable and fruit items at markets, supermarkets, hypermarkets and restaurants.
Twelve items had one or two pesticide residue levels exceeding the maximum allowable limits, Lin said.
The failed items were four samples of basil, three samples of lychees, and one each of passionfruit, white radish, coriander, longan and jackfruit, she said.
Aside from one item for which the vendor could not identify the origin, the department has informed the local health departments about the items that failed the inspection, she said, adding that the local departments can fine growers if it is verified that pesticide regulations were contravened.
A total lunar eclipse coinciding with the Lantern Festival on March 3 would be Taiwan’s most notable celestial event this year, the Taipei Astronomical Museum said, urging skywatchers not to miss it. There would be four eclipses worldwide this year — two solar eclipses and two lunar eclipses — the museum’s Web site says. Taiwan would be able to observe one of the lunar eclipses in its entirety on March 3. The eclipse would be visible as the moon rises at 5:50pm, already partly shaded by the Earth’s shadow, the museum said. It would peak at about 7:30pm, when the moon would
DEFENSE: The US should cancel the US visas or green cards of relatives of KMT and TPP lawmakers who have been blocking the budget, Grant Newsham said A retired US Marine Corps officer has suggested canceling the US green cards and visas of relatives of opposition Taiwanese lawmakers who have been stalling the review of a proposed NT$1.25 trillion (US$39.7 billion) special defense budget. The Executive Yuan has proposed the budget for major weapons purchases over eight years, from this year to 2033. However, opposition lawmakers have refused to review the proposal, demanding that President William Lai (賴清德) first appear before the Legislative Yuan to answer questions about the proposed budget. On Thursday last week, 37 bipartisan US lawmakers sent a letter to Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜), the heads
Two siblings in their 70s were injured yesterday when they opened a parcel and it exploded, police in Yilan said, adding the brother and sister were both in stable condition. The two siblings, surnamed Hung (洪), had received the parcel two days earlier but did not open it until yesterday, the first day of the Lunar New Year holiday in Taiwan, police said. Chen Chin-cheng (陳金城), head of the Yilan County Government Police Bureau, said the package bore no postmark or names and was labeled only with the siblings’ address. Citing the findings of a
A New York-based NGO has launched a global initiative to rename the nation’s overseas missions, most of which operate under the name "Taipei," to "Taiwan Representative Office (TRO)," according to a news release. Ming Chiang (江明信), CEO of Hello Taiwan, announced the campaign at a news conference in Berlin on Monday, coinciding with the World Forum held from Monday through Wednesday, the institution stated in the release. Speaking at the event, Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Huang Jie (黃捷) said she believed this renaming campaign would enable the international community to see Taiwan