Hotels that meet targets to reduce plastic water bottles in guest rooms from next year are to be eligible for a cash incentive of NT$30,000 (US$914), a senior Ministry of Environment official told a news conference in Taipei on Tuesday.
The incentive is part of government efforts to reduce single-use plastics in the lodging industry, the ministry said.
The ministry would launch two incentives to help cut plastic waste in the hotel industry after separate regulations restricting the use of disposable toiletries in hotel rooms take effect on Jan. 1 next year, Resource Circulation Administration Director-General Lai Ying-ying (賴瑩瑩) said.
Photo: Chen Chia-yi, Taipei Times
Hotels that do not supply bottled water in more than 50 percent of their rooms would be eligible for a NT$30,000 subsidy from their local government, Lai said, adding that the payments would be limited to five establishments per administrative region.
Hotel operators that establish a bottle refilling system would be eligible for subsidies of up to NT$5 million, with funding limited to five establishments per region, Lai said.
Eliminating single-use supplies and water in plastic bottles in hotels would reduce plastic waste by about 2,300 tonnes and carbon emissions by about 3,000 tonnes annually, the ministry said.
The restrictions on disposable toiletries would apply to liquid products such as shampoo, conditioner, body wash and body lotion, requiring them to be provided in large bottles, not single-use packaging, the ministry said.
In addition, personal hygiene items such as combs, toothbrushes, toothpaste, razors, shaving foam and shower caps must not be openly displayed, it said.
However, facilities outside guest rooms, including swimming pools and business centers, would not be subject to the restrictions, it said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a