The High Court on Friday rejected an appeal from former vice premier Cheng Wen-tsan (鄭文燦) against a ruling by the Taoyuan District Court ordering his detention and that he be held incommunicado over corruption allegations, confirming Cheng’s detention would be two months.
Although Cheng denies the charge of accepting bribes in contravention of the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例), there is clear evidence substantiating serious suspicion regarding his guilt, the High Court said.
The court also said that as Cheng is suspected of involvement in a major corruption case, there is a strong possibility that he could flee and collude with witnesses.
Photo: Yu Jui-jen, Taipei Times
That Cheng sent messages related to his defense to his secretary before prosecutors questioned him indicates there is a substantial risk of him colluding with accomplices and witnesses, it added.
Given Cheng’s extensive political and business connections as well as his relationships with civil servants involved in the case, the risk of him colluding is clearly difficult to prevent through less restrictive measures such as bail, supervision or residence restrictions, the High Court said.
The High Court said it was appropriate that the Taoyuan District Court found it necessary to detain Cheng.
Cheng’s appeal against detention is unreasonable and has thus been rejected, it said, adding that the decision is final and cannot be appealed again.
The case came to light on Friday last week, when Cheng was summoned by the Taoyuan District Prosecutors’ Office as part of an investigation into alleged corruption involving a land zoning deal while he was mayor of Taoyuan.
After questioning him, prosecutors said that they suspected Cheng of having accepted a bribe, leaking information to other suspects in the case and laundering money.
The prosecutors filed a motion to detain and hold him incommunicado.
However, the district court granted him bail of NT$5 million (US$153,558) on Saturday last week. After an appeal by prosecutors, the High Court sent the case back to the lower court for reconsideration on Monday, but Cheng was granted bail again of NT$12 million.
After another appeal by prosecutors, the case was sent back for review by the district court for a second time, and this time Cheng was ordered to be detained on Thursday.
After serving as Taoyuan mayor, Cheng became vice premier in January last year and stayed in the post until May 20, when he was appointed chairman of the Straits Exchange Foundation.
He stepped down from his foundation post on Sunday.
The inspection equipment and data transmission system for new robotic dogs that Taipei is planning to use for sidewalk patrols were developed by a Taiwanese company, the city’s New Construction Office said today, dismissing concerns that the China-made robots could pose a security risk. The city is bringing in smart robotic dogs to help with sidewalk inspections, Taipei Deputy Mayor Lee Ssu-chuan (李四川) said on Facebook. Equipped with a panoramic surveillance system, the robots would be able to automatically flag problems and easily navigate narrow sidewalks, making inspections faster and more accurate, Lee said. By collecting more accurate data, they would help Taipei
TAKING STOCK: The USMC is rebuilding a once-abandoned airfield in Palau to support large-scale ground operations as China’s missile range grows, Naval News reported The US Marine Corps (USMC) is considering new sites for stockpiling equipment in the West Pacific to harden military supply chains and enhance mobility across the Indo-Pacific region, US-based Naval News reported on Saturday. The proposed sites in Palau — one of Taiwan’s diplomatic allies — and Australia would enable a “rapid standup of stored equipment within a year” of the program’s approval, the report said, citing documents published by the USMC last month. In Palau, the service is rebuilding a formerly abandoned World War II-era airfield and establishing ancillary structures to support large-scale ground operations “as China’s missile range and magazine
A 72-year-old man in Kaohsiung was sentenced to 40 days in jail after he was found having sex with a 67-year-old woman under a slide in a public park on Sunday afternoon. At 3pm on Sunday, a mother surnamed Liang (梁) was with her child at a neighborhood park when they found the man, surnamed Tsai (蔡), and woman, surnamed Huang (黃), underneath the slide. Liang took her child away from the scene, took photographs of the two and called the police, who arrived and arrested the couple. During questioning, Tsai told police that he had met Huang that day and offered to
A British man was arrested for attempting to smuggle 14.37kg of marijuana into Taiwan through Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, Taipei Customs said late yesterday. The man, who arrived from Bangkok at 9pm on Friday, was asked by customs officers to open his luggage during a random inspection, Taipei Customs said in a news release. The passenger, whose identity was not disclosed, refused to open his suitcase and tried to flee the restricted area. He was eventually subdued by three customs officials and an Aviation Police Bureau officer. A later search of his checked luggage uncovered 14.37kg of marijuana buds. The case was handed over