A real-estate mogul wanted for allegedly defrauding investors out of more than NT$500 million (US$15.43 million) was charged yesterday with contraventions of the Banking Act (銀行法), the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office said.
Lee Chen Miao-yin (李陳妙音), who was arrested in Thailand on March 26, was transferred into the custody of the prosecutors’ office shortly after being repatriated to Taiwan on May 9, it said.
Lee, her husband, Lee Chang-an (李長安), and Liu Wei-ting (劉威廷) and Rich Lee (李進倫) were allegedly involved in an illegal investment scheme using Harbor View Residences, a 456-unit hotel and condominium development project in Bangkok, the office said.
Photo: Huang Liang-chieh, Taipei Times
The Ministry of Justice Investigation Bureau said that the four used Blue Ocean Realty Co, a company established by Liu and Rich Lee in Taipei in 2013, to illegally accept deposits without registering as a bank.
Blue Ocean Realty and a sister company in Thailand began to solicit funds for the Bangkok development project by promising investors annual returns of 4 to 6.5 percent, the bureau said.
From October 2016 to October 2018, the group recruited 88 people to invest in the project, with illegally received deposits totaling 608 million baht (US$16.5 million), it said.
Investors reported the situation to police after promised returns were not fulfilled, it said.
In 2019, Lee Chen Miao-yin and her husband fled to Thailand, while Liu and Rich Lee were arrested in Taiwan, the bureau said.
In October last year, the Kaohsiung District Court sentenced Rich Lee to 12 years in prison and handed Liu a 10-and-a-half-year sentence for illegally receiving deposits.
Lee Chen Miao-yin and Lee Chang-an were listed as wanted fugitives by the Investigation Bureau in 2021.
Lee Chen Miao-yin told investigators that she established the company to promote the investment project, while her husband recruited investors, the prosecutors’ office said.
Prosecutors said evidence showed that she had engaged in illegal fundraising activities.
Her husband is still at large, the office added.
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has
Carrefour Taiwan is to begin using a new name from the start of July, but it cannot divulge the name until then, the chairman of the supermarket chain's parent company said today. President Chain Store Co chairman Lo Chih-hsien (羅智先) was asked by reporters after a shareholders' meeting to confirm whether the company has settled on a new name for the supermarket brand. In March, the government-registered name of two Carrefour Taiwan branches was quietly changed to "Le Chia Kang" (樂家康) in Chinese, raising speculation that has been selected as the name. Lo said that because of local regulations and contractual obligations, the