A draft immigrant rights act has been sent to the Executive Yuan for review, Minister of the Interior Liu Shyh-fang (劉世芳) said on Wednesday, while calling for the establishment of a committee dedicated to immigrant affairs.
A draft basic act for new residents was discussed in the legislature’s Internal Administration Committee on April 29. However, as no conclusion was reached, lawmakers decided to wait until another version was submitted by the new administration after the inauguration on May 20.
The committee met again today to discuss various legislators’ proposals for an immigrant rights act.
Photo: Wang Yi-sung, Taipei Times
Speaking to reporters before appearing at the committee, Liu said that immigration is good for the nation’s declining birthrate and society as a whole.
There are about 600,000 immigrants in Taiwan, necessitating a dedicated law to manage their rights, she said.
The Ministry of the Interior has already sent its version to the Cabinet, which has yet to propose a finalized draft, she added.
Between the three major parties, eight or nine drafts have been proposed, she said, calling on the Cabinet to consolidate their views into one bill.
In her report to the committee, Liu said she would ask the Cabinet to expedite review of the bill.
Issues under debate include the name of the act and definition of “new resident,” she said.
In its version, the ministry suggested the name “new resident rights protection act,” since calling it a basic act might encroach on the domain of other laws, she said.
Separately, the ministry also hopes to establish an immigrant affairs committee under the Cabinet to dedicate personnel and funds to related initiatives, and consolidate policies among agencies, Liu said.
Issues to be handled by the committee would include establishing a national-level system for language interpretation and liberalizing academic qualifications, she said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not