Taiwan’s Indigenous Submarine Program would remain on track, Minister of National Defense Chiu Kuo-cheng (邱國正) said yesterday, after the head of the program resigned due to what he said were unfair attacks against him and the military.
Taiwan has made the submarine program a key part of an ambitious project to modernize its armed forces as Beijing stages almost daily military exercises.
Taiwan unveiled the first of eight new submarines in September last year, although it is not expected to enter service until next year.
Photo: George Tsorng, Taipei Times
In a statement late on Tuesday, Admiral Huang Shu-kuang (黃曙光) said that he had resigned as head of the submarine project, as he and the program had been subjected to unfair attacks from people he did not name.
Huang told Reuters that the submarine task force, which includes the navy and shipbuilder CSBC Corp, would continue to operate despite his departure.
“It’s impossible that the team will be disbanded due to one man’s departure,” he said.
Chiu said that Huang is a “conscientious” person, but “members of the task force are all on active duty and can work for a long time. It will not change due to a single personnel change.”
Huang had previously described the submarines as a “strategic deterrent” that could help maintain Taiwan’s “lifeline” to the Pacific by keeping ports along the east coast open.
Taiwan hopes to deploy at least two domestic submarines by 2027, and possibly equip later models with anti-ship missiles.
Chiu yesterday also defended the submarine program and said claims by local media that the costs would soar were “unfair.”
The navy has estimated the cost of constructing the seven vessels over 15 years to be more than NT$280 billion (US$8.62 billion), or about NT$40 billion per vessel.
That is higher than the prototype Hai Kun, which cost about NT$31.2 billion, local media reported.
When asked about the issue by Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Michelle Lin (林楚茵) at a meeting of the legislature’s Foreign Affairs and National Defense Committee yesterday, Chiu said the estimate not only included construction costs, but also expenses related to classified items.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Huang Jen (黃仁) also questioned why the cost was expected to rise, quoting Su Tzu-yun (蘇紫雲), a research fellow at the Institute for National Defense and Security Research, who previously said the cost of constructing each of the seven vessels was expected to fall to about 80 percent of the price of building the prototype.
Chiu said that the ministry plans to add “certain equipment” to the subs built after the prototype as it was felt the first vessel was “not necessarily sufficiently equipped.”
Furthermore, NT$280 billion was just an estimate as the budget proposal had not yet been submitted, he said, adding that taking that number and simply dividing it by seven was an “unfair” method of calculating the costs.
Additional reporting by CNA
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has
Carrefour Taiwan is to begin using a new name from the start of July, but it cannot divulge the name until then, the chairman of the supermarket chain's parent company said today. President Chain Store Co chairman Lo Chih-hsien (羅智先) was asked by reporters after a shareholders' meeting to confirm whether the company has settled on a new name for the supermarket brand. In March, the government-registered name of two Carrefour Taiwan branches was quietly changed to "Le Chia Kang" (樂家康) in Chinese, raising speculation that has been selected as the name. Lo said that because of local regulations and contractual obligations, the