A banquet hall in New Taipei City’s Sinjhuang District (新莊) has been ordered to suspend operations amid an investigation into a suspected food poisoning outbreak affecting 62 people, the city’s health department said yesterday.
The New Taipei City Department of Health said it received reports on Sunday of people experiencing an upset stomach after attending banquets held by Watson’s Personal Care Stores (Taiwan) Co at Gala De Chine Xinzhuang Crystal Crown Plaza (雲品集團新莊晶冠館) on Tuesday and Wednesday last week.
Watson’s Taiwan, the nation’s largest cosmetics and drugstore operator, told the health department that 62 of the 2,201 people who attended the banquets last week reported having an upset stomach.
Photo: CNA
Although nine of them sought medical treatment, none were hospitalized, and their symptoms subsided, the department said, adding that it immediately sent inspectors to the banquet hall upon receiving the report.
On Sunday, health department officials inspected the restaurant based on the Regulations on Good Hygiene Practice for Food (食品良好衛生規範準則), and on Monday afternoon it ordered the banquet hall to shut temporarily, as the number of people who reported suspected food poisoning met its threshold to halt operations, it said.
The inspection found contraventions including unclean floors in its kitchen washing area and trash cans without lids, it said, adding that it asked the venue to improve within a set period.
No leftovers from the dishes served during the banquets last week were available for testing, the department said.
However, a dish called “hand-grasp seafood plate,” which includes a variety of seafood, German sausages and vegetables, as well as ice cubes could have posed a high risk of contamination, so samples of those ingredients were collected for testing, it said.
If the restaurant fails a second inspection, it can be fined NT$60,000 to NT$200 million (US$1,871 to US$6.24 million), and if pathogens exceeding the maximum allowable limits are found in the tests, it can be fined NT$30,000 to NT$3 million, under the Act Governing Food Safety and Sanitation (食品安全衛生管理法).
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not