Taoyuan prosecutors completed an investigation yesterday into a salmonella poisoning case last year in which more than 500 people became ill.
The prosecutors indicted the proprietor of a food stall at a market in Taoyuan’s Jhongli Distict (中壢) which sold Vietnamese-style sandwhiches known as banh mi.
Prosecutors said that the proprietor, surnamed Nguyen, originally from Vietnam, contravened the Act Governing Food Safety and Sanitation (食品安全衛生管理法), adding that “she should ensure the cleanliness and safety of food preparation materials, but failed to do so, leading to bacterial contamination.”
Photo: Yu Jui-jen, Taipei Times
Nguyen’s stand, which was in front of Jhongli’s Zhongzhen Night Market (忠貞市場), often has people lining up to purchase her banh mi, made from a French baguette filled with assorted foodstuffs, including egg slices, cold cuts of meat, vegetables, butter and mayonnaise. She also provided vegetarian options, news reports said.
However, on Aug. 2 last year, people reported getting sick after eating her banh mi, which was hand-made by Nguyen. The customers reported abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea and fever in some cases.
The next day health inspectors investigated and shut the stall down.
Testing found salmonella in the ingredients, and 514 customers reported getting ill after eating the banh mi from her stand. It was deemed a case of mass food poisoning.
Investigators found flaws and negligence by Nguyen, including insufficient refrigerator temperature for cold food storage, a lack of screens to keep out flies and most of her ingredients were in open plastic bags and containers, without being dated.
Investigators also said that she did not maintain proper sanitary conditions, mixing foodstuffs contaminated with bacteria, and that improper cold food storage had permitted bacterial growth, which was the cause of the food poisonining.
Prior to the indictment, the sandwich operator had already paid NT$2.24 million (US$70,022) in compensation to 283 people and was still working to reach a settlement with the remaining victims, the office said.
Prosecutors asked that when ruling on the case, the court take into consideration that the owner had proactively sought to settle with her customers,
However, it did not appear that prosecutors recommended a specific sentence or fine for the store owner, who continues to sell sandwiches in a location near the original location of the stand under a slightly different name.
Additional reporting by CNA
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has