The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday extended to June the deadline for cable television companies to replace channels formerly operated by Walt Disney Co, citing a need for more market research.
Disney on Jan. 1 terminated broadcast on five channels as part of its pull-out from the Taiwanese cable television market, leaving vacancies that other firms cannot permanently fill without NCC approval.
The channels formerly operated by Disney were National Geographic, Star Channel Chinese, Star Channel Movies, Star Movies Gold and Star World.
Photo: Ting Yi, Taipei Times
While replacement channels are being aired, cable companies still need NCC authorization before permanently filling the slots, NCC Vice Chairman Wong Po-tsung (翁柏宗) said.
This involves submitting viewership and audience satisfaction data for the proposed substitutes, but companies are reporting that they do not have time to complete the latter, Wong said.
The deadline for renewing the license to broadcast on the channels was extended to June 30, with the condition that cable companies submit viewership and audience satisfaction data before the end of May, he said.
Companies had given the NCC viewership data and reported being unable to complete the market research to produce a reliable report on viewer satisfaction, Wong said.
South Korea-based KMTV Asia and Taiwan-based Catchplay Movie are the most commonly utilized substitutes for Star Channel Chinese and Star Channels among the nation’s 63 television cable companies.
These have sparked public discussion over the need to promote domestically produced Chinese-language content on channel 31, which was formerly used by Star Channel Chinese.
An NCC spokesperson said preliminary data showed that KMTV Asia’s satisfaction rate was about 61 percent across cable networks, while other replacement channels achieved satisfaction rates ranging from 65 to 90 percent.
The company that owns KMTV has said that it would produce locally made programs if enough cable systems adopted their channel to fund production, the spokesperson said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not