The Legislative Yuan on Tuesday passed amendments to the Domestic Violence Prevention Act (家庭暴力防治法) to grant police permission to arrest abusive partners who do not live with the victim, as well as expand the scope of protective orders.
Under the amendment, if a current or former intimate partner harms the physical or mental health of a victim, police would be allowed to arrest the abuser under criminal procedure, even if they do not live together.
Since the current law excludes non-cohabitating partners from criminal proceedings, law enforcement cannot intervene, said Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Kao Chia-yu (高嘉瑜), who has been a vocal advocate for victims of domestic abuse since coming forward with her own story in 2021.
Photo: Tu Chien-jung, Taipei Times
Direct arrest and protective custody can effectively halt domestic violence, but as they do not apply to non-cohabitating partners, police may only give a verbal remonstration, independent Legislator Freddy Lim (林昶佐) said.
Regarding protective orders, the amendment expands their scope to prohibit abusers and their close family members from accessing information about a victim or their underage children.
A new type of emergency protective order would also prohibit abusers from reproducing or disseminating intimate images or video of the victim without their consent.
Online platforms with knowledge of the situation would be responsible for restricting access to or removing the images.
The changes also seek to provide same-sex partners the same protections by changing the definition of “in-laws” to refer to the relatives of each partner within four degrees of consanguinity.
If a perpetrator violates the conditions of a protective order and there is reason to believe they may commit an act of violence, prosecutors may petition for preventive detention or a court may order their arrest, the amendments say.
When applying for an extension, an expiring protective order would remain in effect until the court’s ruling to ensure there is no gap during which a victim is unprotected.
The amendments also allow for those who were abused by family members when they were minors to change their household registration and prohibit their immediate relatives from accessing their personal information, as long as certain criteria are met.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not