The Ministry of National Defense’s Special Budget for Acquisitions under the Sea-Air Combat Power Improvement Plan is expected to significantly stimulate the domestic economy, with the ministry having allotted NT$176.27 billion (US$5.45 billion) to purchase various items from domestic suppliers, the ministry’s latest report to the Legislative Yuan showed.
The report said that missile acquisition and production comprise the majority of the budget set aside to purchase domestic supplies at NT$88.82 billion, while purchases of a variety of platforms stand at NT$31.8 billion, construction efforts are estimated at NT$38.09 billion and logistics-related acquisitions at NT$17.5 billion.
The improvement plan intends to establish coastal anti-surface batteries, which call for increased production of Hsiung Feng II (Brave Wind, 雄風) and III missiles, as well as Hsiung Sheng Missile Systems which use the Hsiung Feng IIE and extended-range Hsiung Feng IIE cruise missiles.
Photo: Ministry of National Defense via AP
The improvement plan also calls for the acquisition of highly efficient ships, the acquisition of Wan Chien (Thousand Sword, 萬劍) cluster-munition missiles, Chien Hsiang (劍翔) uncrewed aerial vehicles developed by the Chungshan Institute of Science and Technology, as well as ground-based surface-to-air missile (SAM) bases featuring Tien Kung III missiles (Sky Bow, 天弓) and their extended range variant, the report said.
It added that the project also aims to acquire more field-based SAMs and is looking into the possibility of arming the Coast Guard Administration during times of war.
Citing a previous report, the ministry said annual production rates for land-based and ship-based Tien Chien (Sky Sword, 天劍) missiles have risen from 40 to 150; the rate for Sky Bow missiles has doubled from 48 to 96. The rate for Hsiung Feng II and Hsiung Sheng missiles, which share a production line, has risen from 81 to 131, while the rate for Hsiung Feng III supersonic anti-ship missiles has risen from 20 to 70.
In terms of counteroffensive weapons, Wan Chien missiles are expected to see an annual production rate of 50, up from 18 currently, while the rate of production of the Jian Hsiang drone, which does not yet have an annual production rate, is expected to reach 48 per year, the report said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a