Taipei Mayor Chiang Wan-an (蔣萬安) yesterday said the city government would look into EasyCard Corp’s Emerging Stock Market listing process shortly before a change in administration in December last year.
Local media outlets on Thursday said that Chiang was none too pleased to learn that the city government, led by then-mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲), had made the decision about EasyCard’s listing just before Ko’s term ended, saying it would dilute the government’s shares in the company.
EasyCard on Dec. 9 announced that its board had approved its plan to apply for listing on the Taipei Exchange’s Emerging Stock Market. Ko stepped down from his post on Dec. 25, and the company debuted on the stock market in January.
Photo: Tien Yu-hua, Taipei Times
During a question-and-answer session at the Taipei City Council on Friday last week, Chiang said that the decisionmaking process for EasyCard’s listing appeared rushed, and a caretaker government should respect public opinion when making a major decision that would affect a company’s future operations and the disposal of public property.
Chiang said he has instructed Taipei City Government Secretary-General Lee Tai-hsin (李泰興) to gather officials from the city’s departments of legal affairs, finance and transportation, and EasyCard this week to gain an understanding of the case.
Ko on Friday said that Chiang is not familiar with city government administration, as any decision must be made by the company’s board of directors and the Financial Supervisory Commission.
Ko added that the decision to list the company would not affect the city government’s rights and would make it more difficult to interfere with the company’s decisions.
Former EasyCard chairwoman Ting Chen (陳亭如) yesterday wrote on Facebook that the company had reported to Chiang and city government officials about the listing in late December and again on Jan. 11, so the city government must know about it.
Asked about Ting’s comments, Chiang yesterday said the decision was made last year and submitted for review before the new city councilors took office, which was disrespectful of public administration procedures.
As city councilors and the public have concerns about the case, the city government would look into it as his first priority is the rights of the city’s residents, he added.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a