A special project office has been set up to offer one-on-one consultations to parents whose children attended a private preschool where a teacher has been accused of drugging children, the New Taipei City Government said yesterday.
Eight of the preschool students have tested positive for sedatives.
New Taipei City Mayor Hou You-yi (侯友宜) on Friday evening attended a meeting with the parents at Juguang Elementary School in New Taipei City’s Banciao District (板橋), New Taipei City Education Department Commissioner Chang Ming-wen (張明文) said, adding that Hou plans to meet with parents again tonight to ensure that all of them have a chance to express their opinions.
Photo: Wu Chun-feng, Taipei Times
The parents who attended Friday’s meeting were most concerned about health and medical treatment, education and student placement, legal consultations and other individual needs, Chang said.
An office was yesterday set up at Juguang Elementary School, with a principal, a medical doctor and a legal professional offering support to parents from 5pm to 9pm on weekdays and 10am to 11am over weekends, he said.
New Taipei City Department of Health Director Chen Jun-chiu (陳潤秋) said a “green passage” would also be opened at New Taipei Municipal TuCheng Hospital, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital and New Taipei City Hospital, that would prioritize the children involved and offer free medical or mental consultations, blood and urine tests.
Parents can also contact the care service hotline at (02)2956-0885, Chen said.
Some parents had asked that their child undergo a hair follicle drug test to confirm whether there is still drug residue in their body, New Taipei City Deputy Mayor Liu He-jan (劉和然) said.
The city government would discuss the issue with prosecutors, Liu said.
After speaking to the parents for the first time, Hou yesterday wrote on Facebook: “I am also a parent.”
He said that he fully understands the anxiety and fear that parents are feeling, so the New Taipei City Government should provide more comprehensive support.
The city government must reflect on itself for not ensuring everyone was feeling safe before the facts are clarified, he said, adding: “I am sorry for the areas in which we did not do well enough.”
Some parents have expressed their intention to file a complaint about the city government’s response.
Hou said the city would continue to communicate with the parents and do its best to deal with problems caused by the incident.
Meanwhile, Democratic Progressive Party New Taipei City councilors Huang Shu-chun (黃淑君) and Lee Yu-hsiang (李宇翔) said the surveillance cameras at all preschools should be listed for monitoring.
A surveillance camera monitoring cloud service was established in 2021, ensuring that surveillance cameras are recording at all times and the footage is saved elsewhere, Huang said, adding that only 130 public infant care centers are part of the service.
There are still nearly 100,000 children at 230 private and semi-public infant care centers, 285 public preschools, 33 non-profit preschools, 222 semi-public preschools and 590 private preschools that are not covered by the surveillance camera monitoring cloud service, Huang said.
Last month at the city council, they proposed the idea of including the other schools in the cloud service, but Hou would not promise to do so, she said.
After this regrettable incident, they asked the city government to reconsider their proposal, she said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a