More than four in five parents with children younger than six do not plan to raise their children the way their parents brought them up, the results of a survey conducted by CommonWealth Education Media and Publishing showed last week.
The poll found that 81 percent of parents do not want to replicate the parenting techniques of the previous generation.
Ninety-eight percent said they are willing to play with their children and 93 percent said they respect their children’s right to determine their own future, the survey found.
Half of the respondents said they had never hit their children.
Writer Yeh Yang (葉揚) said that parents of the previous generation tended to avoid corporal punishment, spent time with their children and respected their choices “as much as possible.”
While the current generation of parents has adopted more “absolutist” views on these topics, this style of parenting can also leave them feeling that it is their fault when their children are not happy, Yeh said.
Huang Tsung-ning (黃瑽寧), a doctor at the Department of Pediatric Infectious Diseases at Mackay Children’s Hospital, said that despite the shift away from corporal punishment, there are still challenges for parents with an “authoritarian mindset.”
If a parent’s attitude is, “I’ll spare the rod, but I still want you to do as I say,” they could be in for an even greater sense of frustration, he said.
The survey also asked parents about their children’s use of screen-based devices, and found 62 percent started using them before the age of three, and 22 percent started from the ages of three to six.
Regarding daily screen time, 57 percent of parents said they limit their children to less than 30 minutes every day, 26 percent said their kids watch 30 to 60 minutes and 17 percent said their children spend longer than an hour every day in front of a screen.
The survey was conducted online from March 15 to 31 and collected 1,934 valid responses.
About 80 percent of the respondents were female, CommonWealth said.
Two people were killed and another nine injured yesterday after being stung by hornets while hiking in New Taipei City’s Rueifang District (瑞芳), with officials warning against wearing perfume or straying from trails during the autumn to avoid the potentially deadly creatures. Seven of the hikers only sustained minor injuries after being stung along the Bafenliao Hiking Trail (八分寮) and made their way down the mountain with a guide, the New Taipei City Fire Department said. Four of them — all male — sustained more serious injuries and were assisted when leaving the mountain, the department said. Two of them, a man surnamed
Recent movements by the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) have been “highly unusual,” but the military maintains a grasp of the situation, Minister of National Defense Chiu Kuo-cheng (邱國正) said on Friday, after the military for the first time said it was monitoring troop movements in China’s Dacheng Bay (大埕灣). The minister gave the remarks to reporters before appearing at the legislature on the first day of its new session. The Ministry of National Defense on Thursday evening released an air force surveillance photograph of a PLA Shaanxi Y-8 anti-submarine aircraft, and said it was monitoring the PLA Rocket Force and ground
‘ABNORMITY’: News of the military exercises on the coast of the Chinese province facing Taiwan were made public by the Ministry of National Defense on Thursday Taiwan’s military yesterday said it has detected the Chinese military initiating a round of exercises at a bay area in coastal Fujian Province, which faces Taiwan, since early yesterday morning and it has been closely monitoring the drills. The exercises being conducted at Fujian’s Dacheng Bay featured an undisclosed number of People’s Liberation Army’s (PLA) warplanes, warships and ground troops, the Ministry of National Defense said in a press statement. The ministry did not disclose what kind of military exercises are being conducted there and for how long they would be happening, but it did say that it has been closely watching
China’s Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Hong Kong has asked foreign consulates in Hong Kong to submit details of their local staff, which is more proof that the “one country, two systems” model no longer exists, a Taiwanese academic said. The office sent letters dated Monday last week to consulates in the territory, giving them one month to submit the information it requires. The move followed Beijing’s attempt to obtain floor plans for all properties used by foreign missions in Hong Kong last year, which raised concerns among diplomats that the information could be used for