From March 20, insurance companies would no longer pay out claims from policyholders with mild COVID-19 symptoms, the Non-life Insurance Association of the ROC said yesterday.
The association said it made the decision following an announcement by the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) that it would no longer release reports on the numbers of people with mild symptoms.
“Starting on March 20, if a policyholder with COVID-19 is diagnosed with mild symptoms, the insurer will no longer pay any claims, as the insured will not be recognized as being infected with a statutory notifiable disease,” it said.
Photo: CNA
The decision stems from the CECC’s redefinition of severe atypical infectious lung diseases, it said, adding that the redefinition changes the conditions that must be met for a claim to be made.
Under the new definition, a claim can only be made if there is a need for oxygen therapy, or if there are complications requiring hospitalization or leading to death, within 14 days of a serious lung infection, or a body temperature of 38°C or higher, the association said.
The CECC on Thursday announced that from March 20, people who have only mild symptoms of COVID-19 would no longer have to report or isolate.
Cases would only have to be reported when patients develop pneumonia or other complications, are hospitalized or die after running a fever of at least 38°C or have respiratory symptoms within 14 days of the onset of symptoms, it said yesterday.
Also yesterday, the CECC reported 9,098 new cases of COVID-19 and 54 deaths from the disease.
Among the new infections, 8,913 were domestic, a 34.1 percent drop from the same day a week earlier, the CECC said.
It was the second consecutive day with fewer than 10,000 local cases reported and the daily number was expected to remain at about that level through the weekend, it added.
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has