Internet service in Lienchiang County is to be slower than usual after damage was sustained to both undersea cables that connect with the outlying county, Chunghwa Telecom Co said on Wednesday.
A backup microwave transmission system has restored voice, national security and critical communications to normal, the telecom said.
However, mobile service, broadband and on-demand media would be slow due to the disruption, it added.
Photo courtesy of Chunghwa Telecom
An emergency request has been sent for an international cable repair vessel, although a timeline is unavailable, it said.
Network speeds would be slow county-wide, regardless of whether customers use Chunghwa or another telecom, National Communications Commission (NCC) spokesman Wong Po-tsung (翁柏宗) said.
The NCC has received a report from Chunghwa about the situation and has requested that it restore services as soon as possible, Wong said.
However, it would take some time for the repair ship to arrive, so service would remain slow for a while, he added.
The disruption comes after Chunghwa Telecom reported a break in its No. 2 undersea telecom cable connecting Taiwan proper with Lienchiang County on Thursday last week.
A break was reported in the sea about 52km from the generator on Dongyin Island (東引), the terminus of the cable connected to New Taipei City’s Tamsui District (淡水), it said.
Service was automatically switched to the No. 3 cable, which runs from Taoyuan to Nangan Island (南竿), it said.
The No. 3 cable at 12:32pm on Wednesday was suspected to have been damaged by a freighter, downing both connections to the county, the telecom said.
These were not the only incidents in recent years. In 2021, a trawler damaged a telecom cable near the county.
Most of the incidents have occurred in the seas between Nangan and Juguang Township (莒光) due to fishing vessels and Chinese dredgers, Wong said.
However, this latest break happened between Lienchiang and Taiwan proper, he said, calling it unusual.
To prevent such disruptions, a fourth cable is in the works, with the second stage expected to be completed in 2025, Wong said.
The first cable is no longer in use.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not