A YouTuber and his assistant have been ordered to pay NT$1 million (US$32,548) to each of two women whose likenesses they used in deepfake pornography videos, one of whom was Kaohsiung City Councilor Huang Jie (黃捷).
Chu Yu-chen (朱玉宸), who goes by Xiaoyu (小玉) on YouTube, was arrested in October last year on suspicion of creating and selling deepfake pornography videos of dozens of politicians and influencers, accumulating more than NT$13 million in illicit profits.
In July, the New Taipei City District Court sentenced Chu to five years and six months in prison and his assistant, Chuang Hsin-jui (莊炘睿), to three years and eight months for contravening the Personal Data Protection Act (個人資料保護法).
Photo provided by Huang Jie’s office
Prosecutors have appealed the ruling on the grounds that the sentences are too light.
The verdicts in two of 21 civil lawsuits also filed in July by Chu and Chuang’s victims were made public on Monday. The complainants were Huang and an unidentified female flight attendant.
In its ruling, the New Taipei District Court said that in today’s Internet-based society, it is nearly impossible to expunge content that has been shared online.
Photo: CNA
As a result, Chu and Chuang’s victims would continue to be haunted by the misuse of their likenesses for decades, along with harm to their reputations, it said.
Perpetrators of “digital sexual violence” such as Chu and Chuang can often only be prosecuted for contravening the Personal Data Protection Act, the court said.
Due to a lack of legal tools with regard to holding the owners of platforms and sites that disseminate such content accountable, the threat of a civil lawsuit is often the only legal deterrent that potential victims have at their disposal, the court said in its verdict.
Huang thanked the court for serving justice and bringing “some measure of comfort” to the two.
“However, the more pressing issue is still the passage of a digital sexual violence law” in Taiwan, with provisions on preventing and punishing such crimes, and a mechanism for removing the offending content from the Internet, she said.
Taiwan would benefit from more integrated military strategies and deployments if the US and its allies treat the East China Sea, the Taiwan Strait and the South China Sea as a “single theater of operations,” a Taiwanese military expert said yesterday. Shen Ming-shih (沈明室), a researcher at the Institute for National Defense and Security Research, said he made the assessment after two Japanese military experts warned of emerging threats from China based on a drill conducted this month by the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s (PLA) Eastern Theater Command. Japan Institute for National Fundamentals researcher Maki Nakagawa said the drill differed from the
‘WORSE THAN COMMUNISTS’: President William Lai has cracked down on his political enemies and has attempted to exterminate all opposition forces, the chairman said The legislature would motion for a presidential recall after May 20, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Eric Chu (朱立倫) said yesterday at a protest themed “against green communists and dictatorship” in Taipei. Taiwan is supposed to be a peaceful homeland where people are united, but President William Lai (賴清德) has been polarizing and tearing apart society since his inauguration, Chu said. Lai must show his commitment to his job, otherwise a referendum could be initiated to recall him, he said. Democracy means the rule of the people, not the rule of the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), but Lai has failed to fulfill his
A rally held by opposition parties yesterday demonstrates that Taiwan is a democratic country, President William Lai (賴清德) said yesterday, adding that if opposition parties really want to fight dictatorship, they should fight it on Tiananmen Square in Beijing. The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) held a protest with the theme “against green communists and dictatorship,” and was joined by the Taiwan People’s Party. Lai said the opposition parties are against what they called the “green communists,” but do not fight against the “Chinese communists,” adding that if they really want to fight dictatorship, they should go to the right place and face
A 79-year-old woman died today after being struck by a train at a level crossing in Taoyuan, police said. The woman, identified by her surname Wang (王), crossed the tracks even though the barriers were down in Jhongli District’s (中壢) Neili (內壢) area, the Taoyuan Branch of the Railway Police Bureau said. Surveillance footage showed that the railway barriers were lowered when Wang entered the crossing, but why she ventured onto the track remains under investigation, the police said. Police said they received a report of an incident at 6:41am involving local train No. 2133 that was heading from Keelung to Chiayi City. Investigators