A man has been arrested in Taipei on suspicion of fraud and money laundering using bitcoin ATMs, the Criminal Investigation Bureau (CIB) said.
CIB Telecommunications Investigation Corp Deputy Captain Yu Wen-sheng (游文勝) on Thursday said that the investigation began after a person called the 165 anti-fraud hotline to inform the bureau that they had been defrauded when transferring bitcoin through a specialized ATM on Zhongxiao E Road Sec 4 in Taipei.
Investigators found that the ATM had been installed by a 42-year-old man surnamed Chuang (莊) who has a criminal record including fraud, Yu said, adding that fraud groups often use bitcoin ATMs to launder money.
Photo: AP
Chuang allegedly founded a company to import bitcoin ATMs from a foreign manufacturer and installed several of them in business areas in Taipei, the bureau said.
However, he did not report his business to the Financial Supervisory Commission, as required by the Money Laundering Control Act (洗錢防制法), the bureau said.
The manufacturer told investigators that the ATMs usually come with a feature to verify the identity of people making transactions, but the feature was disabled upon Chuang’s request, it said.
The bureau said groups that defraud people via bitcoin ATMs usually immediately transfer the money to another wallet or change it to another cryptocurrency.
Chuang allegedly took a 6 percent fee for transactions through his ATMs without informing users beforehand, the bureau said, adding that it had identified six people who have this year fallen victim to his scheme.
Chuang allegedly also promoted his business in chatrooms that are frequently used by fraud groups, it said.
When arresting Chuang, police also seized five of his machines and more than NT$2.38 million (US$74,645 million) in cash, the bureau said.
The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office is investigating Chuang on suspicion of breaching the money laundering act, it added
In March, the central bank warned people about cryptoasset fraud involving bitcoin ATMs, saying that such schemes have become a major type of investment fraud in Taiwan.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the