Video that surfaced on Tuesday shows the moments before a fireball engulfed partygoers at Formosa Fun Coast (八仙海岸) in New Taipei City’s Bali District (八里) on Saturday last week, killing one person and injuring nearly 500.
The footage from an onstage camera is expected to assist investigators to determine the cause of the ignition of cornstarch powder during an event at the park.
In the video, two workers are seen on stage using carbon dioxide-powered sprayers to dispense colored powder over the crowd.
Photo: CNA
The video shows flames flaring toward the right-hand side of the stage then reducing after about six seconds.
The video shows a worker on the stage spraying flames with a canister, apparently causing another flare-up.
The worker, surnamed Shen (沈), said that as he rushed to douse the flames that had engulfed a person running toward him from the dance floor, he mistook the canister for a fire extinguisher.
Shen apologized for his actions.
Other accounts indicated a similar mishap, where a secondary flare up had occurred as a man rushed to pull a woman from the flames, kicking up dust as he ran.
Shen was questioned by the Shihlin Prosecutors’ Office, which cleared him of charges relating to criminal negligence causing bodily harm.
However, he has been placed under house arrest and is listed as a key witness.
As of yesterday, there were 432 injured people being treated at various hospitals nationwide. Among them, 252 with severe burns were still in intensive care wards, according to statistics compiled by the Ministry of Health and Welfare.
Investigators also questioned a park worker surnamed Lu (盧), who was identified from the video footage.
Lu said he had arrived at the park on Saturday morning to cover for a friend who had been hired to work at the event, prosecutors said.
According to the prosecutors, Lu said that event organizers had only given him a 15-minute lesson on how to spray powder.
The recoil from operating the canister sent him stumbling on his first few attempts, Lu was reported as saying.
Lu said that he was instructed to spray large amounts of powder as the revelry peaked, prosecutors said.
He saw that an effects machine on the stage was producing flames, which sparked a series of ignitions, they said.
Investigators said the disaster was likely caused by a faulty effects machine, based on analysis of key footage submitted by eyewitnesses.
By comparing sets of footage, investigators said they have established a rough time line of events and that the flames appeared shortly after the effects machine began operating.
The flames first appeared in the midst of thick plumes of colored powder ejected by the effects machine and began burning in the air before spreading to the ground in a blaze that persisted for about 10 seconds, prosecutors said.
They said that other ignition sources that might have led to the blasts included lit cigarettes, sparks from malfunctioning effects machines and heat given off by high-powered stage lights.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as