A group of National Taiwan Normal University (NTNU) students and professors have organized a series of activities to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the April 6 Incident to raise awareness of the tragedy, which happened 60 years ago and sparked major changes in the culture of the school.
“As members of the NTNU community, you should all know something about the historic event,” NTNU history professor Cheng Feng-hsiang (陳豐祥) told some 150 students at the school yesterday. “It can be forgiven, but cannot be forgotten.”
On the morning of April 6, 1949, military and police personnel stormed through the NTNU student dormitory and arrested 200 students following a standoff between students and police after the students refused to surrender their Student Association leaders.
Then Taiwan Garrison Command deputy chief Chen Cheng (陳誠) had ordered the arrest of student leaders at both NTNU and National Taiwan University (NTU) after students from both schools organized and took part in a series of rallies and marches protesting police abuse and demanding political reform in March that year.
Seven of the arrested students were executed immediately, while many others were never seen again. In May 1949, 40 more NTNU and NTU students were arrested on sedition charges, with 18 of them executed later that year and the rest sentenced to up to 15 years in prison.
After the incident, the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) government suspended classes at NTNU for nearly a month to run checks on each student and began to keep a tight control on universities across the nation, but especially NTNU.
“When I attended NTNU [in the late 1960s], all students were required to stay in dormitories,” NTNU history professor Wu Wen-hsing (吳文星) said. “We had to be in bed by 10pm — the military education officers would come into our dorm rooms and check every bed.”
At 5:50am came the wake-up call, “and we had to attend the flag-raising ceremony at 6:30am every morning,” Wu said. “Such tight control on student life completely changed NTNU culture and the influence is still there today, even decades after all these measures have been removed. NTNU is known as the most conservative university in the country.”
While the political climate has long since changed, the April 6 Incident remains somewhat taboo at the school.
“I came to NTNU [as a student] 56 years ago and have been a professor here for a long time, but I didn’t know about the incident until 10 years ago,” Cheng Feng-hsiang said.
That was the reason why the Department of History, the Student Association and the Humanity Studies Club decided to organize events to commemorate the incident.
“The school hasn’t done much to commemorate the incident. It has always been the student organizations that organize events,” Student Association vice-president Huang Po-ting (黃渤珽) said. “We want more students to be aware of this important, historic event in our school’s history.”
Chan Hui-min (詹惠閔), a student at NTNU, said she was very interested to find out about the April 6 Incident when she was a freshman at the school.
“My impression had been that NTNU is a very conservative and boring school, so I was quite affected and found it unbelievable that something like this had happened at NTNU,” she said.
“Right now, I’m more involved in student organizations and am participating in some social movements partly because I want to recall the long lost NTNU spirit,” Chan said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a