The Department of Health (DOH) will work with local authorities to provide more places for smokers to dispose of their cigarette butts in light of the recent indoor smoking ban, a spokesman said yesterday.
DOH Public Relations Office chief Wang Che-chao (王哲超) said it appeared that street cigarette bins were in higher demand now that smoking had been forbidden in restaurants and KTV parlors.
Under the ban, public establishments are not allowed to provide ashtrays for customers.
“In the past, smokers could take their cigarette butts into a restaurant to dispose of them, but now they have to find a place outside,” Wang said.
However, he said that the move to install more bins should not be seen as encouraging smoking, rather as a transitional step to help smokers adapt to the ban.
“In the future, as people start smoking less, the problem will ease,” he said.
He said that in addition to helping prevent littering, the cigarette bins would also serve as a reminder for smokers to put out their cigarettes before entering non-smoking areas, thus enhancing public awareness of the ban.
The ban took effect on Jan. 11. Over the past two months, however, there have been many complaints about an increase in cigarette butts outside non-smoking premises and about exposure to second-hand smoke.
Under the terms of the ban, smoking is not allowed on public transport or inside most public premises, such as roofed bus or train stations, KTV parlors, Internet cafes, comic-book stores and offices manned by three or more people.
Smoking in prohibited areas can result in fines of up to NT$10,000 for the offender and NT$50,000 for the owner of the establishment.
The new law requires that prominent “no smoking” signs be posted at the entrances of such establishments, with fines of up to NT$30,000 for owners who fail to comply.
Vendors are not allowed to sell cigarettes to persons under 18 years of age, display cigarettes on shelves that are accessible to consumers or place cigarettes in vending machines. Violators can be fined up to NT$50,000.
Cigarette advertisements and cigarette promotions are also banned, with the fines for violations set at a maximum of NT$500,000 for vendors, NT$25 million (US$737,000) for cigarette companies and NT$1 million for the advertising media.
In the first month after the ban took effect, 76 offenders were fined, including a betel nut vendor in Taichung City who received a NT$100,000 penalty for offering free cigarettes to customers.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as