Although the military is preparing to withdraw troops from most of the outlying islands of the frontline Kinmen group in the coming months, the Coast Guard Admin-istration is not yet ready to take over the protection of the islands, an official with the administration said yesterday.
The coast guard does not have enough personnel and equipment, especially ships, to maintain the security of these islands or safeguard surrounding territorial waters, the coast guard official, who is a member of the public relations office, said.
"The Coast Guard Administration has not been officially assigned the task of taking over these islands. Frankly speaking, it is beyond our capability," the official said.
"The Kinmen police can do the job as well as we can. They might be better suited for the task," he said.
The six islands in the Kinmen group include Tatan, Erhtan, Menghuyu, Tungting, Peiting and Shihyu, which are scheduled to be demilitarized and opened for tourism early next year.
The Executive Yuan announced its plan to demilitarize the six islands in August.
The military initially did not support the plan, saying the six outlying islands are still very important in the defense of Kinmen County. The islands are heavily armed with weapons of various kinds, including cannons, tanks and missiles. They could be used to reduce the Chinese military's firepower in case of an attack.
The military's combat plans have met with opposition after calls from the public that the islands be opened for tourism.
Tatan has gained most media exposure after a visit by President Chen Shui-bian (
The wall has become a tourist attraction. Although civilians are not allowed to land on the island, tourists from both sides of the Taiwan Strait have undertaken boat trips to have a look at the wall from the sea.
Tatan has the most possibilities for tourism. Most other islands in the group are valuable only as military outposts and are relatively inaccessible to tourists.
The demilitarization of the islands is expected to save the military a lot of money, but this burden will be passed on to the coast guard. The military now guards each of these islands with a minimum force of 30 soldiers. The coast guard does not have that many people at its disposal.
The coast guard would probably only be able to assign ten people to each island, a defense official said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a