Amid tears and laughter, hundreds of people from different nations gathered yesterday in downtown Taipei for a celebration memorial, remembering the lives of the five Taiwan-based young victims of last month's Bali bombings.
"Over the past month, I've been grief-stricken. I can't understand why a young, energetic and promising young life was snuffed out in the blink of an eye," said Theresa Chu of the death of her 24-year-old co-worker Eve Kuo (
PHOTO: CHEN CHENG-CHANG, TAIPEI TIMES
"She was able to remember each guest's name, what sort of beer they like and even what sort of weird temperament they have," recalled a weeping Chu of her co-worker at Saints and Sinners, a bar in downtown Taipei.
Chu, dressed in black, found her grief echoed in the silent sobs of Kuo's parents sitting in one corner of the room, located in the Gloria Prince Hotel in downtown Taipei.
Greg Assink, a South African member of the Taipei International Rugby Club (TIRC), said the memories of his girlfriend have kept flooding back to him since Kuo died in the blast.
Michelle Tsai (蔡怡), co-worker of South African bomb victim Craig Harty at the LADDER Digital Education Corp, said her office is no longer the same without the presence of Harty, a man "with a big smile."
"`How empty the bus stop was without Craig there helping me pass the time,'" read Tsai from a small card written by another staff member at the company.
Max Murphy, captain of the TIRC, which lost four members in the bomb blast, said the team was no longer the same after the atrocity.
Calling the club "a home away from home," Murphy said the club would grow and gain strength despite the tragic loss of his four teammates.
Murphy made his point by recalling an anecdote about a message delivered by John Hardman, father of lost teammate James Hardman, when they said good-bye in Bali.
"He raised one finger, pointed to us and said, `Live it, guys. Live it,'" Murphy said, adding that his teammates are determined to make the most of their lives in memory of their friend.
The family of Daniel Braden, a 28-year-old Briton who also died in the attack, has set up a trust fund called "Encompass" aimed at offering "non-sectarian, non-denominational education" to young people, initially in Indonesia.
Those interested in contributing to the trust fund can E-mail info@encompass.com for further information.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as