A scheduled spring fraud trial for two Cleveland Guardians pitchers accused of colluding with sports bettors to rig bets and betray “America’s pastime” is likely to be postponed until October, a federal judge said on Wednesday as the men pleaded not guilty to a rewritten indictment.
Judge Kiyo Matsumoto left a May 4 trial date on the books, but indicated that she would probably move it to the fall in the coming weeks.
Pitchers Emmanuel Clase and Luis Ortiz, speaking Spanish, entered not guilty pleas through a translator to a rewritten indictment in Brooklyn federal court.
Photo: Reuters
No new charges were in the superseding indictment unsealed on Friday last week, as prosecutors charged a third individual with serving as a middleman between bettors and Clase. That person also pleaded not guilty on Wednesday.
The pitchers were first charged in November last year with accepting several thousand US dollars in payoffs to help two gamblers from their native Dominican Republic win at least US$460,000 by placing more than 100 in-game prop bets and parlays on the speed and the outcome of certain pitches. The charges include wire fraud conspiracy and conspiracy to influence sporting contests.
The rewritten indictment added allegations that Clase used code words like “rooster” and “chicken” in communications about pitches to be thrown.
Prior to a game against the Cincinnati Reds a May 18 last year, Clase received a message to “throw a rock at the first rooster in today’s fight” and responded with: “Yes, of course, that’s an easy toss to that rooster,” the indictment said.
However, Clase never entered the game and could not fulfill the plan to throw outside the strike zone to the first batter he faced, it added.
A day earlier, Clase broke MLB rules by using his cellphone in the middle of a game against the Reds to signal to gamblers that a pitch would be outside the strike zone, enabling them to win about US$27,000, the indictment said.
Clase, the Guardians’ former closer, and Ortiz, a starter, have been on nondisciplinary paid leave since July last year. Their teammates are just starting a training camp for the new season. The team’s home opener is on April 3.
Clase and Ortiz, who are free on bail, left the courthouse separately after the hearing. Neither commented. Lawyers for both men have insisted their clients never colluded with gamblers.
Lawyers for Ortiz have asked that he be tried separately, saying in court papers that if Clase passed along Ortiz’s pitching strategy to gamblers, he did so without Ortiz’s knowledge. They also noted that Ortiz is accused of throwing only two pitches that drew scrutiny over a 12-day span, while Clase is charged with colluding with gamblers on numerous pitches since 2023.
“Mr Clase may have abused his relationship with Mr Ortiz as friends and teammates by convincing Mr Ortiz to throw certain pitches at certain times — ostensibly for baseball reasons as far as Mr Ortiz was aware,” the lawyers wrote.
They said they might present a defense to the jury that would cast “Ortiz as a victim of Mr Clase’s scheme, rather than a knowing and willing participant.”
The Guardians and the MLB have said they are cooperating with the investigation. The MLB said it contacted federal law enforcement when it began investigating unusual betting activity.
ADVANTAGE ATLETICO: Well off the pace in La Liga, the Copa del Rey represents Atletico Madrid’s best chance of silverware this season Atletico Madrid on Thursday hammered Copa del Rey holders Barcelona 4-0 in the first leg of their semi-final. After an Eric Garcia own-goal sent Diego Simeone’s side ahead early on, Antoine Griezmann, Ademola Lookman and Julian Alvarez struck to give Atletico a landslide lead by halftime. Barca defender Garcia was sent off in the final stages, with Atletico maintaining their significant advantage on the record 32-time winners, which they take into the second leg at the Camp Nou on March 3. Both sides missed good chances in the second half, with Barca’s Pau Cubarsi having a goal disallowed before Garcia was sent off
‘EVERYONE SAW’: The visitors were left fuming after Jules Kounde was fouled by Claudio Echeverri in the buildup to the winning goal and it went unpunished Spanish champions Barcelona on Monday fell to a damaging 2-1 defeat at Girona to leave them trailing Real Madrid by two points at the top of La Liga. Los Blancos beat Real Sociedad on Saturday to overtake the Catalans and Hansi Flick’s side could not defeat Girona in an gripping derby clash to reclaim the lead. Teenage star Lamine Yamal missed a penalty for Barcelona, who took the lead through defender Pau Cubarsi just before the hour mark. However, goals from Thomas Lemar and Fran Beltran helped Girona, 12th, mount an impressive comeback. “In the end Girona deserved it, they had a lot of
Stade Rennais, four days after firing coach Habib Beye, stunned Paris Saint-Germain 3-1 on Friday, snapping the defending champions’ seven-match winning run in French Ligue 1. Second-placed RC Lens could leapfrog the champions and retake top spot last night after press time if they beat Paris FC in the capital. PSG started brightly, with Ousmane Dembele and Desire Doue carving openings to no avail. Rennes fired Beye on Monday and promoted his assistant Sebastien Tambouret, and the same players who had lost four games on the bounce seemed transformed. Jordanian forward Mousa al-Tamari bagged the opener, unleashing a fierce strike
Amanda Anisimova on Monday was handed a walkover into the last 16 of the Dubai Open after her opponent Barbora Krejcikova was forced to withdraw from the WTA 1000 event. The American second seed enters the round-of-16 against Janice Tjen without swinging a racket as two-time Grand Slam winner Krejcikova pulled out due to an issue with her left thigh. They became the seventh and eighth players to pull out, a list that includes the world top two Aryna Sabalenka and Iga Swiatek. Tjen booked her meeting with Anisimova thanks to a 7-6 (7/5), 6-4 win in her round-of-32 match against 2021 US