There will be no hot dogs on the grill, no beer on tap, no vendors in the stands selling peanuts and Cracker Jack.
A shiny new stadium deep in the heart of Texas will still be waiting for its first Rangers game.
Instead of warming up for his debut with the New York Yankees after a record US$324 million, nine-year contract, Gerrit Cole is playing catch with his wife at home.
With the start of the Major League Baseball season indefinitely on hold because of the COVID-19 pandemic, ballparks were empty yesterday, on what was supposed to be opening day.
“You’re used to seeing people run all over the place. We have over 200 people [who work] at the park,” said Roger Bossard, the groundskeeper in his 54th year with the Chicago White Sox. “Certainly, it’s eerie when no one’s around. You walk around the hallways or underneath the stands there, and there’s nobody there — but understandably.”
From Baltimore, Maryland, and Miami in the east to San Diego, California, and Seattle in the west — and 11 other cities that would have hosted season openers yesterday — there will be no games, or at the remaining 15 MLB stadiums, for at least a couple of more months.
By then, when the weather would be warmer and the Rangers would be able to stay out of the heat by closing the retractable roof at their more than US$1 billion stadium, the only new major league ballpark opening this season.
After the postponement of a Chris Stapleton concert that was to be the inaugural event at Globe Life Field in Arlington on March 14, only three days after an open house that went on as scheduled, the Rangers were supposed to play an exhibition game there this week.
Their home opener was scheduled for Tuesday next week after a season-opening series in Seattle.
“The stadium was 100 percent ready to go,” said Casey Rapp, general manager of the new stadium for Delaware North Sportservice, which also oversees concessions for 10 other MLB ballparks. “It’s the little things that we were trying to make perfect.”
While there was plenty of time to finish construction of Globe Life Park, Rapp and his group have not yet been able to serve people during a full-scale event at the stadium.
Concessionaires start planning months in advance of the openers. That means a lot of products, such as hot dogs, bottled beverages and frozen foods, had already been delivered to many ballparks before the season was put on hold.
“It’s definitely different... It’s kind of unheard of [that] all the major sports inside the United States would be closed at the exact same time,” Delaware North Sportservice vice president of operational excellence Ken Gaber said. “Personally, it’s difficult. I think everybody feels the exact same way.”
Delaware North has donated to local charities more than 18.6 tonnes of food, including perishable items already sent to MLB stadiums it operates, and concessions from its other venues, including some NBA and NHL arenas suddenly shut down in the middle of those seasons. There were also several spring training venues at the peak of their schedules.
World Series champions the Washington Nationals have reduced staff at Nationals Park, where a facilities group is still maintaining the ballpark and putting on the finishing touches for the season.
“Prior to every baseball season, you’re always working very aggressively to get ready for opening day. That’s a fixed date and time, and you just have to be ready,” said Frank Gambino, Washington’s senior vice president of ballpark operations. “We had been working very diligently, and continue to work diligently, to try and get as close as we can to ready for whenever opening day eventually comes.”
The Nationals were able to defer many of the concession deliveries and stocking of the stadium while monitoring the COVID-19 situation, he said.
There have been no reports of any MLB players testing positive for the novel coronavirus. Two minor leaguers in the Yankees system did, and the Red Sox closed down their entire spring training complex in Fort Myers, Florida, this week after saying that one of their minor league players had tested positive.
The Baltimore Orioles were yesterday scheduled to open at home against the Yankees, likely with a clean-shaven Cole on the mound for the visitors.
Camden Yards would be ready whenever the season finally starts, and the Orioles hope to maintain the enthusiasm that was whipped up for the team throughout a now-extended off-season.
“The bright spot in this sort of cloudy day is that our fans will be craving baseball,” said Jennifer Grondahl, Orioles vice president of community development and communications. “If we can put together a season and the entertainment that we have planned and add to that, I feel like we’ll be able to continue that momentum.”
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
DISSENT: The US track and field body joined sports officials in Norway and Brazil, as well as Indian athletes, in calling on the IOC to postpone the Tokyo Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 organizers have started drafting possible alternatives to holding the Olympics this summer, two sources familiar with the talks said, in contrast to the Japanese government’s stance that postponement is not an option. While the COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted sports events around the world, Japan has been steadfast in saying that the Games would go on. A Japanese government spokesman on Wednesday said that Tokyo was not preparing for postponement. “Finally, we have been asked to make a simulation in case of a postponement,” said one of the sources, an official close to the organizing committee who is involved in drafting the
EXPENDITURE: Tokyo Games organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said that ‘additional expenses are going to be quite massive’ to reschedule the Olympics The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is working with sports bodies to arrange a July-to-August window next year for the postponed Tokyo Olympics and hopes to confirm the schedule within a month, Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday. John Coates, head of the IOC’s coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics, told the newspaper that the Games would have to be held between the tennis Grand Slams of Wimbledon, scheduled to end in mid-July, and the US Open, which starts in late August. “We want to more or less finalize the dates in four weeks’ time,” the newspaper quoted Coates as saying. Coates, who is also
PROUD, BUT BOWING OUT: The Dallas center missed all of 2018 due to Guillain-Barre syndrome, but Travis Frederick returned to be a standout again last season Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick on Monday stunningly announced his retirement. Frederick, who turned 29 on Wednesday last week, was a Pro Bowl selection in five of his six NFL seasons. Frederick revealed his retirement in a lengthy letter, beginning it by writing: “After much consideration, discussion, and reflection, I have decided to retire from football. This was not an easy decision.” Frederick cited his bout with autoimmune disease Guillain-Barre syndrome as a factor. He missed the 2018 season due to the illness in which the body’s immune system attacks the nervous system, but he returned to be a standout again last