Ricky `the Hitman' Hatton landed a left hook to the body in the fourth round, dropping Jose Luis Castillo to one knee and suddenly ending the contest between the world's top light welterweights on Saturday.
Castillo took the count from referee Joe Cortez without getting back up, ending the fight at 2:16 of the round.
Hatton leaped in the air as the mostly British crowd cheered and sang songs for their countryman.
The Mancunian remained undefeated in 43 fights by ending what shaped up as a rough-and-tough 12-rounder with one punch to the liver.
It was the 31st knockout for Hatton, whose last two fights had been unimpressive.
"I think tonight was a bit more of my best," Hatton said. "I don't think there was the excitement in my last two fights as there was tonight."
Hatton was outworking Castillo and landing more punches, but there was no indication he had ever hurt his Mexican opponent until he suddenly threw a left hook that seemed to take the wind out of Castillo.
Castillo went to a knee and looked at Cortez as he was counted out.
"He got me with a perfect shot," Castillo said. "I couldn't get up."
Hatton tried to smother Castillo from the opening bell and get inside his punches. That led to a lot of holding, so much that Cortez briefly stopped the fight midway through the first round to warn both fighters against holding.
The fight quickly turned into a brawl, though, with neither fighter giving ground. Hatton was quicker and more effective with his punches, though, and Castillo appeared to be getting frustrated as the fight went on.
Hatton won the first three rounds on two of the three ringside scorecards, and two out of three on the third.
He was even further ahead, though, because Cortez had penalized Castillo a point in the fourth round for hitting below the belt.
Hatton wasn't pretty and he wasn't artistic, because that's not the way he fights. But he was effective, throwing more punches and landing more while keeping Castillo from throwing his trademark left hook that won him the lightweight title two times.
"I felt very strong inside," Hatton said. "In my heart after the first round I didn't think he was going to last long."
It was the biggest fight for Hatton since he beat Kostya Tszyu two years ago, and he had vowed to make up for his last two lackluster fights and win over crowds in the US the way he did in his native England.
The crowd on this night wasn't a problem, with most of the 13,044 people at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas campus arena coming over from England to cheer on their fighter.
Hatton took the microphone after the fight to thank both them and Castillo's fans.
"I'm sorry I beat one of your heroes tonight, but hopefully his fans can become my fans," Hatton said.
Hatton won the IBO version of the 140-pound title with the win, but more importantly showed that his win over Tszyu wasn't the fluke that some thought it was.
He solidified his spot as the top 140-pounder in the world, and managed to take a shot at welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr in doing it.
"There was more action in the four rounds of this fight than Floyd showed in his entire last fight," Hatton said.
For Castillo, the loss may signal that his 17-year pro career is nearing an end. Castillo dropped to 55-8-1, and his troubles making weight and the effect of the beating he took against Diego Corrales two years ago may have caught up to him.
Hatton, meanwhile, plans to continue to fight in the US to try and catch on as a fan favorite like he is in England
Chen Jifang hits the gym for at least two hours every day and has the physique to prove it. At nearly 70, she is being held up as a shining example as China orders its vast population to get fit and lose the bulge. The grandmother from Shanghai has become a minor celebrity in in the past few months after her newfound and unlikely love for working out made national headlines. After becoming a gym regular in December 2018, Chen lost 14kg in three months, and now sports the kind of flat stomach and toned muscles that people decades younger aspire to. She
‘GREAT EVENING‘: In the women’s singles in Rome, Simona Halep and Karolina Pliskova advanced, while Rafael Nadal swept into the quarters in the men’s singles Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Friday had to dig deep to advance to the semi-finals of the women’s doubles at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. The top seeds, who did not drop a game in their opening match on the clay courts at the Foro Italico, battled to a 7-6 (7/5), 6-4 victory over sixth seeds Veronika Kudermetova and Katerina Siniakova in 1 hour, 39 minutes. The reigning Wimbledon champions saved nine of 11 break points and converted three of eight, winning 56 percent of points on their second serve and sending down two aces
’SO CONSISTENT’: The victory gave the world No. 1 and world No. 2 a 21-1 win-loss record and their fourth title of the season after successes in Brisbane, Dubai and Doha Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Sunday cruised to their fourth women’s doubles title of the season at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome in their first tournament back since the suspension of the WTA Tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The top seeds took just 63 minutes to complete a comprehensive 6-2, 6-2 victory over unseeded German-Romanian duo Anna-Lena Friedsam and Raluca Olaru at the Foro Italico. It was the Taiwanese-Czech pairing’s first outing since they won the Qatar Open in February. “After five months, you don’t know what to expect,” Strycova told the WTA Web site.
ANOTHER SCANDAL: Searches focused on several riders, including Dayer Quintana, a source said, while the two being held were reportedly a doctor and physiotherapist French police on Monday detained two people as part of an investigation into suspected doping in the Arkea-Samsic team at this year’s Tour de France, prosecutors announced. The probe is the first significant one in several years for the repeatedly scandal-hit tour, which on Sunday wrapped up in Paris with a victory for 21-year-old Tadej Pogacar, who became the youngest winner in more than a century. Prosecutor Dominique Laurens in Marseille said in a statement that an investigation was being carried out into a “small part” of France-based Arkea-Samsic, without specifying who had been placed in custody. Laurens added that the two