Round of 16
Portugal 1, Netherlands 0Portugal booked a quarter-final date with England on Saturday with an ill-tempered 1-0 win over the Netherlands in which both teams had two players sent off.
Russian referee Valentin Ivanov brandished a record 20 cards in total -- 16 of them yellow -- as Portugal scraped through to extend coach Luiz Felipe Scolari's record World Cup winning streak to 11 matches.
PHOTO: AFP
Ugly scenes marred the match as first Costinha, then Khalid Boulahrouz, then Deco and finally Giovanni van Bronckhorst saw red.
Scolari said he had never seen anything like it before.
"In three-and-a-half years of coaching Portugal I have never ended a match with just nine players," Scolari said.
PHOTO: AFP
"FIFA always talks about fairplay, but tonight we saw several gestures that were anything but," the 57-year-old Brazilian added.
As for missing Deco and Costinha in the match with England, Scolari was defiant.
"They are vital players for us, but we will have others that can fill in for them, even if England is a tough opponent," said Scolari, who coached Portugal to victory over England in the Euro 2004 quarter-finals.
PHOTO: AFP
Portugal went 1-0 up after 23 minutes, but put themselves in trouble when Costinha received his second yellow just before half-time.
They also lost Cristiano Ronaldo to a right thigh injury. But Boulahrouz received his marching orders for elbowing Luis Figo -- who himself was fortunate to stay on the pitch after headbutting Mark van Bommel, who belatedly and theatrically collapsed to the ground -- before Deco was dismissed for throwing away the ball.
Van Bronckhorst trudged off in the dying seconds of the match, killing off the Netherlands' faint hopes.
The disciplinary nightmare marred a promising encounter between two of the tournament's form teams who had amassed 32 matches unbeaten between them.
It was Marco van Basten's first competitive defeat as Dutch coach.
Maniche was on target for his second goal of the tournament as the Euro 2004 finalists cut their way through the Dutch defense after 23 minutes, putting them on course for a quarter-final with England.
Maniche, who also scored a blinder against the Dutch in the 2-1 victory in the Euro 2004 semi-finals, said that the victory was a team effort.
"We are a talented squad and we deserved the victory," he said.
However he blamed the referee for overreacting to what he thought was not a violent match.
"The referee did not contribute to the spectacle," the 28-year-old said.
"I don't think that it was such a violent match to merit so many sendings off," Maniche said.
Portugal received a double blow when a tearful Ronaldo was subbed off and Costinha received his marching orders for a second bookable offence.
Ronaldo had been struggling with a thigh problem since going down under a heavy challenge from Boulahrouz.
The Dutch almost got off to a flying start with van Bommel firing just wide in the first minute.
Robin van Persie also sent one thudding against the advertising boards and Arjen Robben failed to get a meaningful shot away after a neat interchange with Dirk Kuyt, who replaced misfiring striker Ruud van Nistelrooy.
But it was Portugal who broke the deadlock when Pauleta met a cross from the irrepressible Deco, teeing it up for Maniche who made space for himself before finishing with his right foot. Suddenly the Dutch attack looked toothless, with Robben struggling under the close attentions of Miguel and Kuyt also finding himself locked down.
But Van Persie sparked them back into life with a twisting run that turned the Portuguese defense inside-out before shooting wide.
Robben had a penalty appeal turned down when he received studs in his shoulder after a knock-on from Kuyt.
But the match threatened to disintegrate after an hour when Figo, angry about a foul on Deco, was booked for headbutting van Bommel.
Minutes later Boulahrouz elbowed Figo on the left touchline, earning his second yellow and sparking a furious shoving match between the two benches.
Deco's dismissal with just over 10 minutes left incensed Scolari, who had been on and off his bench all night, as the spectacle degenerated into farce.
Memphis Grizzlies forward Brandon Clarke, 29, has died, the NBA team said in a statement on Tuesday, while the family of Jason Collins, the first openly gay man to play in a major US pro sports league, announced the former Grizzlies and Brooklyn Nets player had died after a battle with brain cancer. “We are heartbroken by the tragic loss of Brandon Clarke,” the Grizzlies said in a statement posted on social media. “Brandon was an outstanding teammate and an even better person whose impact on the organization and the greater Memphis community will not be forgotten.” The statement did not provide
Mathys Tel was hero and villain as Tottenham drew 1-1 at home to Leeds United on Monday — a result that leaves their English Premier League future hanging in the balance. The Frenchman broke the deadlock early in the second half to ease the tension at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, but then gave away a penalty with a reckless attempted clearance. In the dying minutes, Spurs were grateful to Antonin Kinsky, who produced an astonishing save to deny the visitors a win. Tottenham are now two points clear of 18th-placed West Ham United with just two games left this season. The
‘DONE IT ALL’: LeBron James is now out of contract with the Lakers and would head into the off season as a free agent with uncertainty swirling around his future LeBron James on Monday said he would take time to consider his future after the Los Angeles Lakers were swept out of the NBA playoffs by the Oklahoma City Thunder in what could turn out to be the final game of his career. James, 41, delivered a typically defiant performance with 24 points and 12 rebounds, but it was not enough to prevent the Lakers from falling 115-110 as the Thunder completed a 4-0 sweep in the Western Conference semi-finals series. The four-time NBA champion is now out of contract with the Lakers and would head into the off season
FRUSTRATION: Gauff smacked herself on the head with her racket before storming down the tunnel, emerging afterward to have a heated discussion with her coach Elina Svitolina on Saturday won the Italian Open after beating Coco Gauff 6-4, 6-7 (3/7), 6-2 to claim her third Rome title, while Jannik Sinner set a date with Casper Ruud in the men’s final. Ukraine’s Svitolina had not claimed a WTA 1000 title since her last victory at the Foro Italico eight years ago, but prevailed over the ever-erratic Gauff to claim her 20th tournament triumph. Saturday’s win over Gauff was her third in a row against a player in the top four of the world rankings — including Iga Swiatek and Elena Rybakina — ahead of the French