A gas explosion at a coal mine in China’s northern Shanxi Province killed at least 90 people, state media said yesterday, in the country’s deadliest mining accident in recent years.
The official Xinhua News Agency said the accident at Changzhi City’s Liushenyu coal mine happened on Friday evening. About 247 workers were on duty at the time.
Nine miners were still unaccounted for as of yesterday afternoon and more than 120 people were hospitalized, Xinhua said.
Photo: Xinhua News Agency via AP
The cause of the explosion was under investigation, Xinhua reported, adding that rescue work is pressing on with hundreds of rescuers and medical personnel sent to the site.
Among the injured, many were hurt by toxic gas, state broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV) said.
Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) has called for an all-out effort to rescue the missing, Xinhua reported.
Xi also called for the “proper handling of the aftermath of the accident and urged a thorough investigation into its cause, with accountability pursued in accordance with the law.”
Xinhua later reported that those responsible for the company involved in the mine accident have been “placed under control,” citing the local emergency management bureau.
Wang Yong, one of the hospitalized miners, said he smelled sulfur “like firecrackers” and saw smoke.
“I told people to run,” he said. “As I ran, I saw people being choked by the smoke. And then I blacked out.”
Blueprints provided by the coal mine did not match the actual layout, hampering rescue efforts, CCTV reported.
The coal mine, operated by the Shanxi Tongzhou Coal & Coke Group with an annual production capacity of 1.2 million tonnes, was placed on a national list of disaster-prone coal mines by China’s National Mine Safety Administration in 2024 for having “high gas content.”
Shanxi Province is known as China’s main coal mining province. With a size larger than Greece and a population of about 34 million, the province’s hundreds of thousands of miners dug 1.3 billion tonnes of coal last year, or almost one-third of China’s total.
In China, coal remains a key energy source due to its lower cost and high availability, even as the country accelerates its transition toward green energy.
Mining disasters have been common, although authorities have implemented measures to improve safety over the past few years.
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very