One of Japan’s strongest typhoons in decades dumped torrential rain across southern regions yesterday, with one person missing and authorities warning of life-threatening flooding and landslides.
Typhoon Shanshan packed gusts of up to 252kph as it smashed into Japan’s main southern island of Kyushu early yesterday, making it the most powerful storm this year and one of the strongest at landfall since 1960.
The storm then weakened, with maximum gusts of 162kph at 5pm local time, the Japan Meteorological Agency said, but it was still dumping heavy rain across Kyushu and beyond as it moved slowly toward the main island of Honshu.
Photo: AFP
The agency warned that “the risk of a disaster due to heavy rain can rapidly escalate in western Japan as Friday approaches.”
Even before Shanshan hit, precipitation pummeled large area with three members of the same family killed in a landslide late on Tuesday in Aichi Prefecture about 1,000km from Kyushu.
Authorities issued their highest alert in places, with more than 5 million people advised to evacuate, although it was unclear how many did.
The city of Kunisaki warned inhabitants to “evacuate to a safe place or higher place such as the second floor of your houses” because of the risk of flooding.
One person was missing yesterday — reportedly a man on a small boat — and two people were seriously injured, Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshimasa Hayashi said.
Rain turned rivers into raging torrents while winds smashed windows and blew tiles off roofs. TV images showed flooded roads and power lines being repaired.
The coastal city of Miyazaki, littered with debris from nearly 200 damaged buildings, reported 25 injuries — including some from a tornado. Some parts of Miyazaki saw record rains this month, with the town of Misato recording a staggering 791.5mm in 48 hours, the agency said.
Worried student Aoi Nishimoto, 18, said he had called his family in Miyazaki to see if they were safe.
“Our home is fine, but there was a tornado in Miyazaki and power went out in some places,” he said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary