Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) yesterday said he and all other members of the Cabinet would resign to help President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) appoint a new team to implement her policies.
Su made the announcement on Facebook after an hour-long meeting with the president following the legislature’s approval of the government’s general budget for this fiscal year of NT$2.69 trillion (US$88.6 billion).
The move came after the Democratic Progressive Party’s (DPP) defeats in the local elections on Nov. 26 last year and Tsai’s resignation as DPP chairperson in their wake.
Photo: Lo Pei-te, Taipei Times
Prior to the meeting with Tsai, Su visited the legislature and thanked lawmakers for passing the budget, in line with past practice after the approval of an annual general budget.
Su, who became premier in 2019 after the DPP’s losses in local elections the previous year, said that “over the past four years, serving the country and the public has been an honor.”
Su said he tendered his resignation to the president immediately after the election defeats in November, but Tsai at the time asked him to stay on until the budget has been passed.
He agreed with Tsai that his immediate departure would have caused a delay to budget negotiations, Su said.
However, now it is time to lead the Cabinet in stepping down, Su said, adding that it would put Tsai in a better position to implement existing and new policies.
Presidential Office spokesman Xavier Chang (張惇涵) said Tsai thanked Su for his hard work over the past four years.
The government would work to appoint a new Cabinet over the Lunar New Year holiday, Chang said.
The government would review candidates and make appointments as soon as possible to ensure that government affairs and policy implementation are not delayed, Chang added.
Additional reporting by Wu Su-wei, Hsieh Chun-lin and CNA
Indonesia has sent hundreds of riot police to a tiny island after protests broke out against a China-backed project that would displace thousands of residents. About 1,000 people protested in Batam City on Monday over a plan to develop Rempang island into a Chinese-funded economic zone, including the construction of a multibillion-dollar glass factory, that would displace about 7,500 people. Some protesters clashed with security forces outside a government agency, wielding machetes, Molotov cocktails and stones, police said, adding that dozens were arrested. Beijing has poured money into infrastructure and resource projects in Southeast Asia’s biggest economy and its investments have previously caused
‘HARASSMENT’: A record 103 Chinese warplanes were detected in 24 hours, posing severe challenges to security in the Taiwan Strait and the region, the ministry said Taiwan yesterday told China to stop its “destructive unilateral actions” after more than 100 Chinese warplanes and nine navy ships were detected in areas around the nation. The Ministry of National Defense (MND) described the number of warplanes detected in 24 hours as a “recent high,” while Beijing has so far refrained from issuing any official comment on the sorties. “Between the morning of September 17th to 18th, the Ministry of National Defense had detected a total of 103 Chinese aircraft, which was a recent high and has posed severe challenges to the security across the Taiwan Strait and in the region,”
CALL FOR PEACE: Czech President Petr Pavel raised concerns about China’s military maneuvers in the Taiwan Strait and its ‘unfriendly action’ in the South China Sea The leaders of three diplomatic allies — Guatemala, Paraguay and Palau — on Tuesday voiced support for Taiwan’s inclusion in the UN on the first day of the UN General Debate in New York. In his address during the 78th UN General Assembly, Palauan President Surangel Whipps Jr urged the UN and all parties involved in cross-strait issues to exercise restraint and seek a peaceful resolution. “The well-being and prosperity of nations and their economies are intrinsically linked to global peace and stability,” he said. He also thanked partner nations such as Taiwan, Australia, Japan and the US for providing assistance
China would be making “a grave strategic mistake” if it tried to attack Taiwan, US Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman General Mark Milley said in an interview with CNN that aired on Sunday. Asked by host Fareed Zakaria whether the US could repel a Chinese invasion of Taiwan, Milley said: “It is entirely possible.” Milley reiterated that the US still maintains the Taiwan Relations Act, and that it wants “a peaceful outcome between Taiwan and the People’s Republic of China, and whatever that is between those two peoples.” “Militarily, I think China would make a grave strategic mistake if they attempted to