The Islamic State group fired chemical weapons against Kurdish forces in Syria and Iraq last month, Kurdish fighters and weapons experts said.
The Conflict Armament Research (CAR) group and Sahan Research in a statement on Friday said that the extremist group targeted Iraqi Kurdish Peshmerga with a projectile filled with a chemical agent on June 21 or June 22.
The organizations also documented two such attacks against Kurdish fighters from the People’s Protection Units (YPG) in Syria’s northeastern al-Hasakah Governorate on June 28.
The YPG said the attacks targeted the Kurdish-held al-Salehiyah neighborhood of al-Hasakah city and Kurdish positions south of the town of Tel Brak.
“Upon impact, the projectiles released a yellow gas with a strong smell of rotten onions,” the YPG said in a statement on Friday.
It added that the ground around the impact sites was stained with a liquid that was green at first, but turned yellow on contact with sunlight.
“Our troops exposed to the gas experienced burning of the throat, eyes and nose, combined with severe headaches, muscle pain and impaired concentration and mobility. Prolonged exposure to the chemicals also caused vomiting,” the statement said.
The YPG reported no deaths in the attacks and said that exposed forces subsequently recovered from their symptoms.
They added that YPG fighters had captured industrial-grade gas masks from Islamic State forces in recent weeks, “confirming that they are prepared and equipped for chemical warfare along this sector of the front.”
CAR and Sahan Research, which conducted research in coordination with Kurdish forces, said in a joint statement that seven projectiles were fired in the al-Hasakah city attack and 17 in the attack near Tel Brak.
They said urine samples taken from those affected in the Tel Brak attack tested positive for a compound that is commonly found in agricultural pesticides.
However, they had no definitive answer yet on the precise chemical composition of the agents that had been used in the two attacks in Syria.
The chemical used in the Iraq attack had characteristics and clinical effects “consistent with a chlorine chemical agent,” the groups said.
They said the three attacks in the two countries were “the first documented use by Islamic State forces of projectile-delivered chemical agents against Kurdish forces and civilian targets.”
“Although these chemical attacks appear to be test cases, we expect Islamic State construction skills to advance rapidly, as they have for other IEDS [improvised explosive devices],” Sahan Research managing director Emmanuel Deisser said.
The extremist group has been accused of using chlorine against Kurdish forces in Iraq before.
In March, the autonomous Kurdish government in northern Iraq said it had evidence that the extremist group used chlorine in a car bomb attack on Jan. 23.
Chemical weapons have also been deployed in the Syrian conflict on multiple occasions.
In what has been by far the deadliest incident, sarin gas was used to kill up to 1,400 people in a rebel-held Damascus suburb in August 2013.
The Syrian opposition and much of the international community blamed the attack on the Damascus government.
Syria denied responsibility, but subsequently surrendered its arsenal of chemical weapons under a UN-backed agreement.
There have since been a number of reported attacks using chlorine. Some have been confirmed by the international chemical weapons watchdog, but it did not say who carried them out.
Syria was not required to surrender any stocks of chlorine under the 2013 agreement, because it is widely used for commercial and domestic purposes.
However, use of the gas for military purposes would be a breach of its undertakings under the deal.
More than 230,000 people have been killed in Syria since the conflict began in March 2011 with anti-government protests before spiraling into a complex multifront war.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats